Keep note window always on top of other windows/apps

Kons

Idea

Some apps in Windows have the option to pin them on top of other applications. In Evernote, this would mean that the new note window would always stick to the top, so no matter what other app you open (i.e. pdf, web browser, presentation) the new note window would always be there for you to add quick notes! This would be such so useful under so many different scenarios and I think it is relatively simple to implement since other apps also have this feature (even the legacy version of OneNote has it - the version that is part of Office).

Just to clarify: there can be an option under the ellipsis menus (top-right of new note window) to enable and disable this.

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I'd think that would get in the way rather than be a help - and aren't there already hot key shortcuts to open a new note/ capture what's on screen? 

Plus - other major Legacy features like import folders and local notebooks first please.  This may be a 'nice to have' but I don't see it as a priority.  YMMV - if so,  please vote - top left of the page here.  

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

I'd think that would get in the way rather than be a help - and aren't there already hot key shortcuts to open a new note/ capture what's on screen? 

The current shortcuts just open a new note or capture as you've said. I am talking about an entirely different thing. Try watching a presentation or attending a Zoom meeting and having to bring up the minimized note window every time. It just breaks the flow. If you already have it right there next to you it's so convenient to add notes to it - after all users will get a chance to disable the feature if they want. Apart from OneNote, other note-taking apps have this feature and it works wonders. Being a researcher, academic, productivity writer and tutor this is definitely a priority for me - I mostly use Evernote to take notes during Zoom and PowerPoint presentations, not to mention while doing research online. I don't know if you've tried the Collections feature in the new Microsoft Edge, or the Note feature in Vivaldi. They offer something similar - the ability to have your note open all the time while you browse so you can instantly add things.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Fair point.  Full disclosure - I (mostly) use three monitors so there's always some free real estate where I can park a window.  I have used Vivaldi notes and others to keep track of presentations,  but these days I use Workflowy for ad-hoc notes - again that's an easily reachable browser tab Ctrl+<number> or pop-up window (Tab) in Windows.  Workflowy lets me re-order and hierarchize (thought I made a new word - turns out it already exists...) any points easily,  then I can copy and paste the usually more coherent package into Evernote.

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

but these days I use Workflowy for ad-hoc notes

Could I please ask you two questions since you are Workflowy user:

I've been using Workflowy and Dynalist interchangeably and can't make up my mind. Dynalist's free version offers so many more features and the Android version is similar (and feels faster). Workflowy is behind when it comes to features and the Android version lacks some features (backlinks for example using [[ ) The only thing Workflowy has added that Dynalist lacks is the Kanban feature but then again I wouldn't use that for quick notes. But still, it would take ages I think for Workflowy to keep up with the multitude of features Dynalist offers. For a full comparison you can look here: https://dynalist.io/compare

So question 1: Am I missing something in slightly preferring Dynalist?

And question 2: Since Workflowy (and Dynalist) lack a global key shortcut to create a new note, how do you do that? The app doesn't even stay in the system tray, you have to keep the app open all the time if you want to take notes. Have you found a solution to that?  The truth is Workflowy is  indeed ideal for quick notes but without a quick capture option this is a paradox to me.

25 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I use Workflowy for ad-hoc notes - again that's an easily reachable browser tab Ctrl+<number> or pop-up window (Tab) in Windows.

@gazumped You've made my day!!! I just opened up both Dynalist and Workflowy on my Windows (the desktop versions of both apps) and noticed that Workflowy now has the pin on top of other windows option that I have just requested for Evernote! So Workflowy it is for me for quick notes then! 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

LOL have to get a bigger halo... 😇

Some of the things that Dynalist says are unavailable in Workflowy have been made available - some still in Beta, and others are possible with various add-ins. And I've been using WF for years - it does grow on you... (YMMV!)

I run WF in its own separate Chrome window (open in browser as normal - go to three dots menu - more tools - create shortcut - open in own window) so it's always open (like Evernote).  I just tab into that window to start noting;  and - there's no 'new note'.  Just pick a vacant bullet and start building sub-bullets under a title.  The content is fully searchable and #tags and @labels are pretty cool too.  Dates are now a thing,  as are images and file uploads (both currently beta) - though the general attitude to uploads is: "don't save anything you'd hate to lose".  Use beta.workflowy.com for the additional bells & whistles. There are a ton of Youtube videos around.

Former Evernote Guru Frank Degenaar 'adopted' Workflowy a while ago and has in-depth guides on Youtube.  He also wrote 'the book' on the app (including how to colour sections, bullets and tags!) 

EDIT: Just as a caveat - I'm not totally casual about the arrangement of things - temporary notes are fine anywhere.  Some will get copied/ moved into Evernote,  and anything that stays in WF will get moved to the correct place in my overall hierarchy.

Oh - big positive too:  every. single. bullet. is shareable with variable read/edit permissions.  This bullet is called 'example-stub'...

https://workflowy.com/s/example-stub/7eEN3KzuV67vG1qg

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, oscarjps98 said:

With an AutoHotkey script you can do it.

Thanks! I've been using AutoHotkey for this for a few years now but this is not a long-term solution. What if I want to use another computer for instance? This would mean I'd need to install AutoHotkey on that as well :(  But yes, you are right, this is one of the reasons I've been an AutoHotkey user (another one is to control volume sound with key shortcuts).