Text size management, zooming and screen resolutions: an issue affecting usability at large

Screen resolution is quite an issue when developing software, even more with the existing high screen resolutions in retina displays alike. My Evernote "Normal style" is a Sans Serif font, 16 in size. No issues with that on my MacBook Pro, neither on my iPad Pro 11 inches (2018), but when it comes to the iPad Pro 12.9 inches (2020), the text renders slightly smaller than on the iPad Pro 11 inches, just the exact reduction to be uncomfortable for my eyes. Zooming in with the fingers does not solve the issue, mainly because the app tries to adapt horizontally to the maximum space before pinching, keeping it constant even when zooming, obliging the user to scroll horizontally as soon as the end of the screen is reached by the cursor.

I dare say that a size of 16 on a Word document would be deemed as irresponsibly big when printed. Using a size of 16 on Evernote is not an issue since notes are not intended to be printed, at least in my case. I do not see myself changing now the trove of notes I have to a size of inches just because the app is not capable to deal with this issue. Wouldn't it be easier to implement a competent zooming system, like the one in Apple Notes, that regardless the actual font size the text can be visualised bigger or smaller to meet the needs of each user and, as a byproduct,  to address the different screen resolutions that modern devices present?

• Level 5

Since the iPad 12.9 has more screen real estate, you could set the system size in iOS settings a bit larger. EN does react to this setting. It will influence all other apps that are reactive to this setting (not all do), so maybe you need to experiment a bit to find the best compromise.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Since the iPad 12.9 has more screen real estate, you could set the system size in iOS settings a bit larger. EN does react to this setting. It will influence all other apps that are reactive to this setting (not all do), so maybe you need to experiment a bit to find the best compromise.

That's sensible at first sight, but for the fact that this issue is only happening in Evernote. Nonetheless I will try, since, as you said, not all apps will be affected by that change.  I would encourage the Evernote development team to follow a similar approach as in Apple Notes: it's a very effective solution, to say the least.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@PinkElephant, you will not believe it. I've tried your suggestion, but changing font size from the system settings only affects to the list of notes on the left panel, but not to the note itself, that seems to be totally unaffected!

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that the Evernote team is working on this or, at least, have it on their list. Though they say that they want to provide a seamless experience on all platforms, that is hardly the case. Today I realised that the feature we are talking here is available on the desktop version, and does exactly what is expected. I'm afraid iOS versions will always remain behind, so I dare say that such a claim is overstated. At this respect, Evernote team should follow the path of Apple Notes: 2 platforms and the app works exactly the same regardless the platform. Does it sound magic? Not really, it's just about being committed to excel on customer experience. That's in the backbone of great companies, the journey from "good" to "great".

Captura de pantalla 2021-02-12 a las 10.13.46.png

Captura de pantalla 2021-02-12 a las 10.13.31.png

• 2 years later...

I fear ‘m abut done with Evernote.  Been a paid subscriber since almost the beginning,  Simple things like adjusting the note view settings should be rather simple.  Growing more and more frustrated with a service that continues to fail to provide for its paying customers. 

• Level 5

Seems you have some very specific demands - nobody posted in this thread FOR 2 YEARS.

Beside this the thread is a hodgepodge of inconsistent postings, mixing iOS and Mac.

If you want something, better open your own, or contact En directly (Feedback/Support).