Let us pick tags in an easy to see manner!!!

Why do I have to use the keyboard and hold three keys (ctrl+alt+T) to be able to pick tags from my list? Why is the default option to have to type things in (which requires perfect memory sometimes)? Why don't we get the tag list from clicking on the tag icon?

Fix this asap please.

14 hours ago, CactusFrankie said:

Why do I have to use the keyboard and hold three keys (ctrl+alt+T) to be able to pick tags from my list? Why is the default option to have to type things in (which requires perfect memory sometimes)? Why don't we get the tag list from clicking on the tag icon?

Fix this asap please.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by the "default option". There are lots of tag icons - if you mean the add tags icon at the bottom of the note I agree that it might be nice toĀ have the list pop up but I think that in my case the list wouldĀ be far too long. Typing a letter or two gives me just the tags beginning with those characters. I suppose the ability to add a wild card (e.g. *) at that stage to bring up the entire list would be useful but I'm not sure that there are any characters which cannot be used in the tag name.Ā  I agree that if I can't even remember the first letter of the tag I do have to use the full search capability of the edit tags menu (alt-ctrl-T) and this also allows me to open up the tag hierarchy and select (or deselect) tags.

The other way of adding tags is from the tag hierarchy in the sidebar. Find the tag and drag itĀ onto the note in the note list. It would be nice if you could also drag it on to the note. That was a capability that randomly came and went with different versions of the old software.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Mike P said:

but I think that in my case the list wouldĀ be far too long.

Are you serious? Too long? Have you heard of scrolling?

All I'm asking is that we get the same ease of picking tags on PC that we have on Android. On android you tap the tag icon, and the scrollable list of all your tags comes up and lets you check one or several of them. This is much easier than having to press ctrl+alt+T, and easier than having to remember all your tags in order to type the first letter(s) of each.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CactusFrankie said:

Are you serious? Too long? Have you heard of scrolling?

I don't really appreciate yourĀ tone. I have no intention of scrolling through 500 or soĀ tags in an alphabeticalĀ list. As I've said I have no objection to thereĀ being an option to bring up the entire list using a wildcard character but the current set up suitsĀ me well. I do scroll through the hierarchy and add tags by dragging and dropping from there.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:01 AM, CactusFrankie said:

All I'm asking is that we get the same ease of picking tags on PC that we have on Android. On android you tap the tag icon, and the scrollable list of all your tags comes up and lets you check one or several of them. This is much easier than having to press ctrl+alt+T, and easier than having to remember all your tags in order to type the first letter(s) of each.

I think there should be tag clouds designed to accommodate the most likely tags for specific areas of subject matter. Something very akin to what they were doing with tags at the beginnings of Internet websites, so it must not be too difficult to do - it was just not deployed with the tools that they should have now to do it right. I would imagine Evernote has it on the premium subscription. Remember, websitesĀ hadĀ HTML containers with the words that are most used in larger text, and you click on the word and it gave the list of articles that contained the word. I would like that type of choice selection, more visual oriented listing, rather than an alphabetical order. But I would also like the choice of alphabetical listings, as well, which I would definitely want for tags for common lists like state abbreviations, political alliances and activities, and legal terms.

By the way, suppose I have a list - is there a way to transform that into a tag list, such as the list of state abbreviations?

• Level 5

There used to be some apps that added some visual view to EN. One example was Bubble Browser, that sifted through the notes and showed a dynamic relational network. When you selected a tag, you could see bubbles the size of the number of notes forming, showing how ā€žfarā€œ in terms of tags other tags were from the selected tag. The problem with all of these apps was that they obviously could not monetarize their service. The last version of bubble browser caused my Mac to crash - which is rare among apps for the Mac, to say the least. No reaction from the dev, web site obviously deserted, quite obscure.

Beside tools like that depend on a lot of trust - you need to allow them to have full access to your account ! So I played with them a little using test data, but decided against it. The risk of opening a door into my full account was incalculable.

If EN will developĀ something to make information more visual I donā€™t know. If they watch those who tried and failed, they probably donā€™t have aĀ real incentive to move into that direction. And it uses a lot of computing power, to dynamically visualize the content and relation of hundreds or thousands of notes.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

If you want to create a stock of tags to be used, you can create a note, leave it empty and assign a lot of tags to it. This actually is a strategy for the admin of an EN business account to create tags for common usage in the company. The tags will show when a few letters are typed, and can be selected from the list.

Creating tags AFAIK is a manual job - copy & paste. Using a dummy note to create the tags makes it faster, because you just create a bunch of tags in one go. Nice job for a dull hour on a miserly winter evening.

11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Creating tags AFAIK is a manual job - copy & paste. Using a dummy note to create the tags makes it faster, because you just create a bunch of tags in one go. Nice job for a dull hour on a miserly winter evening.

Ā 

11 hours ago, CyberHiker001 said:

By the way, suppose I have a list - is there a way to transform that into a tag list, such as the list of state abbreviations?

Just made an amazing discovery! If you take @PinkElephant's suggestion of creating a dummy note you can then paste a list of tags separated by commas (no spaces) into the "type to add" lozenge in theĀ tag area at the bottom of the screen. EN will parse them into separate tags.

The bad news, if you have a tag hierarchy, is that you then need to move each tag individually into the correct position as there is no longer the ability to select more than one tag in order to move them.

Yes, I have done the dummy note for tags when I set up my Blogger and WordPress sites. I am thinking of the possibility of more than fiftyĀ lists with possibly hundreds of elements in some of them.

Anyway, I am still having difficulty recognizing how EverNotes will work for me.