Evernote on ipad - notebook has green bar - indicating what?

On an ipad, I have a number of notebooks, with one large notebook marked for offline access. It shows a horizontal green bar indicating ... something. I thought it was size, or capacity - now I think it is progress in downloading, and it is hung up. Anyone know for sure what it is? And, if it's hung up, how to get it to complete, or start over, or ??? 

See attached screen capture...

Thanks

Dan

evernote notebook bar shown on ipad.jpg

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kronhead said:

On an ipad, I have a number of notebooks, with one large notebook marked for offline access. It shows a horizontal green bar indicating ... something. I thought it was size, or capacity - now I think it is progress in downloading, and it is hung up. Anyone know for sure what it is? And, if it's hung up, how to get it to complete, or start over, or ??? 

It is the offline notebook download progress indicator.  I don’t how long you have been waiting, but if it has been a while maybe, as a first step, exit and restart. I’ve had success in downloading similar sized notebooks, but my 7000 note notebook still can’t complete.  It has been frustrating for me, but others have reported success.

39 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

It is the offline notebook download progress indicator.  I don’t how long you have been waiting, but if it has been a while maybe, as a first step, exit and restart. I’ve had success in downloading similar sized notebooks, but my 7000 note notebook still can’t complete.  It has been frustrating for me, but others have reported success.

I am humbled by your vast notebook! On mine - I have had this ipad for a year or more - installed evernote, set that one notebook to offline, and forgot about it. Decided today I should try a little harder, so I started moving old notes (about 25%) to another, online-only notebook - it has been working on the smaller offline notebook for a few hours. But - at least I know what it is now! Thanks again.

• Level 5

After the first download is through, the bar disappears. 

You will see it return when there is new content to be loaded to offline, but only very briefly, if there are just a few notes to download. When there are notes on the server waiting to sync, after opening EN on iOS first the syncing happens, and then the green bar appears and stays until the offline download is done.

So when you see it (depends on being in the same notebook) you know the offline content is kept up to date.

It shows as well in the offline notebook selection view in the apps settings during download. There you get an overview of which notebooks still have content waiting for download. With 10.3 / 10.4 it is usually done very fast.

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

So when you see it (depends on being in the same notebook) you know the offline content is kept up to date.

As far as I can tell, the green bar NEVER went away. It stayed at about 95% forever - weeks, or more. I probably use a dozen notes regularly - plus an addition of, say, one a day. Since I moved about 20% of the old notes to a different, online-only notebook - which was just a few hours ago - the offline notebook has made steady progress. I will feel better when it gets thru and the progress bar goes away, as you describe. 

I have another question, or comment: The startup of Evernote on the ipad is S-L-O-W. Well, slow, in comparison to just about everything else - but not hours. A couple of minutes. Maybe I am just impatient. I don't have a LOT of volatility in my notes, but there is some - and I guess it has to sync changes before resuming the offline download. Anyway, my android phone works faster. It has that same notebook marked for offline access - it says it is 6Meg, with 430 notes (after I moved 183 notes out).

I just want this to be BACKGROUND - just want to use the app to make, and modify, notes on any of my devices, without THINKING about it!

Thanks again.

Dan

• Level 5

When the green bar got stuck, I got it back to moving by first deselecting the offline download for that notebook.

Here you need to take a decision: You will be asked if you want to dump the existing data, or to keep it. On the first try you can choose to keep it, if it stalls again you need to switch it off again, and dump the data then when asked.

After this question there comes a tricky part (have not tried under 10.4, but it still was like that in 10.3): The Switch you put „off“ will automatically move back to „on“ again. Now don’t touch it !!! This is a minor bug, the app is working in the background. When done with processing the new setting, the switch moves back to „off“ all by itself ! This can take between a few seconds and several minutes, depending on the size of the offline notebook.

When the offline status of the stuck notebook, is off, quit settings, quit the app and switch the i-device completely off. Then back on again (Apple logo must show), restart the app, let it sync and go to settings again. Switch the notebook you want to download back to on. After a short moment  the gray download status bar will appear, and start a slow march to green.

In my case (iOS 14.3, iPad Pro 10.5, EN iOS 10.3) it took little less than 24hrs to download all notebooks (= 16GB) to offline. The iPad was switched on, autolockscreen was set to off, iPad was on the charger to keep it alive, screen brightness to the lowest setting. The setting „Download all notebooks“ worked with 10.3, it had blocked on the versions before.

• Level 5

Speed of the app: It is for me ok on iPad Pro 10.5 and iPhone 11 Pro Max (5sec from tapping the icon until notes show), less so on iPhone 6S+ and slow on iPad Air 2. All devices are running iOS 14.3. The Air and the 6S+ will probably not get iOS 15 and are currently the weakest hardware that is still supported.

After each release upgrade I have noticed a significant longer open time when opening it for the first time. Maybe the app does some cleaning up then. But it returns to normal, and at least until now with each release v10 got a bit faster than the one before. With the initial v10 I remember opening times of closer to 10sec.

In the last release notes there was a new widget announced for one of the next releases, Maybe this will offer a faster access to some basic functions, like grabbing a quick note.