iPhone running Evernote drains battery

My iPhone 11 running the latest iOS and the latest Evernote version continues to excessively drain the battery. New notes occasionally do not sync, and just go missing. Evernote still runs too slow to be useable, so my work around is that when I am on my iPhone, I create using Apple’s Note app, and than later on my Mac, running an older version of Evernote, I paste it back into Evernote for syncing. 

Are we any closer to getting these essential issues fixed? My hope is that no new functions are added until core functions are restored to pre-version 10 levels.

Thanks for any feedback that you can provide.

• 1 year later...

I have exactly the same problem. My iPhone 8 gets really hot on the rear side (clos to the camera) when running EN 10.34.1. My phone is running iOS 15.5. Battery drains fast, and recent notes does not show up until several minutes or hours later. Then, a conflicting note is often created. This behavior is not acceptable. EN is a notes app, first and foremost. We have to be able to trust note syncing.

I have previously experienced that a fresh reinstall has made things better, for a short while.

Dear EN developers, please commit to the core functionality before adding new features. We don't need tasks or other stuff - we need extremely stable note syncing. This is what EN is all about.

• Level 5

You can check which app is using how much energy in iOS settings, tab battery. Note that this percentage is from the battery used, not from the total charge.

If an app uses 10%, and the battery has dropped by 30%, the app has used 3% of the total charge.

What you describe sounds more like an aged battery. This drives the inner resistance of the battery up. It consumes part of the charge itself, and gets warm.

Apple can check if a replacement is needed, and can do it at the Genius Bar in a few hours. They have a standard price for it, 55€ for an iPhone 8 out of warranty coverage. Authorized dealers can do it as well.

In my experience ,  Evernote is a huge battery eating app ;  in my iPad mini 6  I have the same behavior (for example ,  it consumes much more than any media app like YouTube /  Netflix, Disney ,etc) 

My device is new and when asked Evernote , they seemed to be aware of the problem but couldn't give any good tip  , neither plans to fix it .

I understand , it's a serious issue ,  especially when EN is being used  for it's main feature ,  note taking

I guess it's related to the platform Evernote is using to run the app

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

If you believe it does, what does the battery tab in iOS settings tell ?

Mine says yes, it uses battery charge when in long use - wow, what a surprise … it tells as well that when I use Safari to browse, it will consume charge. This is what happens when you use an app to move data around.

Personally I only call an app excessive in its battery use, when a) it makes my device shut down prematurely, which EN does not, or b) when it uses a lot of charge, but apparently is not in use or active. EN uses NO energy when not active, and it uses an IMHO reasonable share of the battery charge when in active use.

Remember as well that when your battery is aging, the total charge is reduced. So it may be an app consumes more battery over time - in this case check whether it really is the app. It may be it is the battery that provides less energy in total. In this case the percentage of the battery an app uses goes up, because the battery holds less and less energy.

Evernote consumes by far the most battery on my iPhone & iPad Pro! That's the main reason why I only ever use it very briefly and only in exceptional cases on these two devices (and thus the battery stats in the Apple Settings have very little meaning).

When I use Evernote, the battery level very often goes down in steps of 2(!).

20-30% at 5-10 minutes of use is not uncommon.

And all this doesn't happen to me with any other apps. Not even close...

So, I would also be happy if Evernote can optimize the high battery consumption in the near future! :) 

• Level 5

Can‘t confirm this observation, not by far. EN is in the Top 5 of my apps in terms of energy use, which I would expect based on usage. Number 1 for me is usually Safari (too much time in the forum, I think 😉 ). I usually get through the day with one charge, and have a comfortable margin left.

Any specific use of EN, or does it happen no matter what you are doing ?

Next steps for me in such a case would be to log out, switch the device completely off (to clean out the RAM), on again (Apple logo must show) and log back in. If this does not help the next step would be the same, but with an uninstall of the app after logging out. Dump data when asked. This will rebuild the local database from the server. Hint: If you have offline notebooks, you will have to download them again (which is a PITA).

Or ask support.

Little anecdote: Sometimes the SONOS S1 app is a battery front runner on my iPhone. When it shows on the lock screen it really goes hard on the battery. Clear case of comfort (I use the iPhone as remote control) vs. battery use. It does nothing except updating what is currently playing, and waits for my input.