Note list disappeared and won't return

Workaround -- click on All Notes or on any notebook or any other shortcut to multiple notes.

So I'm not dead in the water but this is a very bizarre user experience. And doesn't help me at all when I want to go directly from one note to another in the list.

• Evernote Expert

I'm not seeing this reported frequently and am not experiencing this myself. Which version of EN 10 for Windows are you using? From the Microsoft Store or the direct download?

My first try with this would be to close the program, delete the data directory and then restart. You'll forced to login afresh and the data directory will be rebuilt. Might be a solution.

@agsteeleto reproduce: make sure that you have a note link in your sidebar and the note list visible (any of the 4 available formats). Click on a sidebar note link. The note opens, replacing both the note list and the previously opened note. I.e. the note list disappears.

v 10.5.7 build 2171 public

• Evernote Expert

OK... Got it. I believe that this is the intended result. The note list returns when you click on a notebook or All Notes ie when you access a resource that has multiple notes that can be listed.

This isn't the same as the legacy version which is, perhaps, why you anticipated a different behaviour.

You could add this as a request in the Request forum if it is something you feel is important.

I agree, it seems to be the intended result. But it's so inconsistent -- this does not happen when you click on a note in the notes list. And it makes it very awkward to compare a favorite note (from the sidebar) with a recent note (from the notes list). And the workflow is not at all intuitive / discoverable. 

Thanks for pointing out the Requests forum.

I think there is a more general issue here. There are a number of times where you will want to go from a note to the notebook where that note is found. This is obviously when you have not found the note simply by scrolling through the notebook You may have got to that note by for example:

• Clicking a shortcut
  • Search
  • Clicking an internal link
  • Using all notes

Some of these hide the note list but some don't. EN have provided a simple way of getting to the notebook through the notebook icon but that takes you to the top of the notebook not to the selected note. This means you can't see the note in context. Simply changing the behaviour so that it went to the note selected in the notebook would be a big step forward.

• Thanks 1