Search function on iPad no longer works

I am amazed by this situation.  I see hundreds of complaints all over the web about this, but there seems to be no solutions offered.  Evernote is a broken and ultimately useless piece of software now! What a shame! Can they not fix their own system? Evernote was one of my favourite apps, but since the update a few weeks ago it is completely useless!  When I try and search my notes, it comes up with grey lines only.  If you click on one of the grey lines it sends me off to a blank page.  There is NO SEARCH FUNCTIONALITY anymore.  I see lame instructions about leaving the programme open so that it can sync, but this doesn’t make any difference.  I’ll see if this post makes any difference, but if not I’ll delete Evernote from my iPad along with the 582 recipes it holds and find another way of storing valuable lists and info.  Unbelievable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Offline content can be searched without an internet connection. You need to switch notebooks to offline, wait for the download, then search will work on this content.

Currently there is one issue: The complete download of offline content still has some bugs, so maybe better to wait until the problems are fixed. With v10.2 they are unfixed,  support told they are working on it.

That means in the end: EN v10.2 can't search when offline.

I have a notebook with 4 entries and only the first was downloaded. Already deleted the App twice. 

And Alvin C. Posted one replay from the support: 

Considering 

m(

• Level 5

OK, maybe you go and get your installation fixed.

• EN iOS v 10.2, iOS 14.3, iPad Pro 10.5, most notebooks downloaded to enable offline use
  • Went to flight mode to force an offline situation 
  • All notes, clicked on search, entered „Apple“ as search string, enter
  • Got 128 hits in my data base, from support stuff I clipped over saved articles to invoices. The search string was marked in yellow.
  • Notes opened when clicked, including attachments while in flight mode

Conclusion: Yes, it does search.
There is just the issue left I posted above: Offline download works, maybe takes a lot of time. But keeping it up to date after the initial download does not work (yet), which is a bug confirmed by EN, which will be fixed.

Keeping the updating bug in mind: To say it would not search when offline is plainly wrong. You just need to accept that to have something to search, you must download the content before going offline.

92320B18-6949-4395-80D8-E1E604840C42.thumb.jpeg.ef24d84d862bd12ae139e0332cfdb197.jpeg!

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There is just the issue left I posted above: Offline download works, maybe takes a lot of time. But keeping it up to date after the initial download does not work (yet)

Actually there are two issues.  The one you have mentioned and downloading of large notebooks is still broken.  I have yet to be able to fully download my 7000 note notebook.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Agree - this means offline content is not complete (updating of downloaded content not happening) or missing (too much content).

To say about this that „search is not working“ would be like claiming on a car that the brakes are making noises when in fact the engine is broken.

I am for sure not happy about this offline-content-problem, but it is not search that causes trouble. I always had all of my content on my iPad for offline use, and I am pretty unhappy about not having it there since September.

Tough luck there is Corona - which practically prohibits to travel. So my main reason to keep offline content currently is not there. This reduces urgency,  but for sure not the importance of this feature to return to work fully and reliably.

To stay with the car comparison:

I turn the key for search and it doesn't start. It simply does nothing. Sounds like the definition for defect to me. 

With enough patient I can find the note I want manually.

The App says my Receipt notebook is completely on the iPad and it finds nothing.

When offline and I enter one  "   in the search field EN crashes. When I enter    tag:    I get a crash. 

And even online, v10 doesn't find my notes with the same keywords I am used to.

Deleted and downloaded my stuff twice and I'd rather wait for a new version.