Unable to annotate images using the touchscreen on a chromebook

When I try to annotate images on a Chromebook using the touch screen, the annotate feature will open, but no tools make marks (or make only a single tiny mark once).

The annotate feature works fine on both Chromebooks so long as I go through the Android app that runs on Chrome OS. However, when working in the web client, annotating images only works with the track pad, and not the touch screen.

Chromebooks: one Acer Flip running Chrome OS version 86.0.4240.198, and one Lenovo Duet running Chrome OS version
Evernote version: Web Client

What happens:

• I can click on an image in a note and then the pencil icon, and the annotate feature opens.
  • I can select any of the tools
  • The tools work via the track pad
  • As soon as I try to use the touch screen to annotate the image (either with my finger or with a USI stylus), I either get one very small mark and than nothing else, or no marks at all.
  • After that, I can continue to select other tools or close out of annotate, but no tool makes any marks, even if I go back to the track pad.
  • If I close the annotate tool and open it again for the same image, the track pad works again, but trying to use the touch screen causes the same problem every time.
  • This is consistent across both Chomebooks when using Evernote Web. I do not have this issue when in the app on these Chromebooks.

I can work around this, but wanted to flag it in case it's something that can be fixed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 11:32 PM, ehrt74 said:

Hello!

This works for me on an Acer Chromebook Spin CP 713 in laptop mode and in tablet mode.

ChromeOS version:  86.0.4240.198

Evernote web version: 10.5.1

Are you also on 10.5.1?

Hi! I was at the time, yes. I am now on Evernote web version 10.8.5, and still having the same issue.

Tim, I have not yet found a solution, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Emilindy said:

Hi! I was at the time, yes. I am now on Evernote web version 10.8.5, and still having the same issue.

Tim, I have not yet found a solution, unfortunately.

Can you use other touchscreen apps to draw? Does google notes work with the touchscreen?

• 2 weeks later...

I can also report that i cannot annotate a pdf on a Lenovo chromebook duet. I CAN sketch on evernote and it works great, but no annotation, which is a bit of shame. I was looking forward to using it to grade students work because those are some nice annotation tools. 

• Level 5

In the web client open the note with the pdf, and then click on the pdf attachment.

A little new tool menu will show right above the pdf box. There is a down arrow, a pencil and 3 dots. Annotation start when clicking on the pencil, or choosing Edit from the drop down menu behind the 3 dots.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2021 at 5:26 PM, PinkElephant said:

In the web client open the note with the pdf, and then click on the pdf attachment.

A little new tool menu will show right above the pdf box. There is a down arrow, a pencil and 3 dots. Annotation start when clicking on the pencil, or choosing Edit from the drop down menu behind the 3 dots.

Sorry, this is not a helpful response. Everyone on this thread knows how to find the annotate tool, see my original question above for the details of when and why it doesn't work.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am Lenovo X1 Tablet Gen 3 user and experience exact same issues with annotation. Sketching was okay but the annotation with touchscreen or stylus was horrible.

I hope that Evernote can provide such flexibility with handwriting and image annotation as One Note can.