Audio and Notes do not save and then sync with no content iOS

I am really mad. Like so mad I can't express it in words.

For years I have been using Evernote with success. And suddenly it stops working.

I had a lesson with a very good teacher, I use evernote to record these usually then make notes later so I can really be in the zone in the lesson. I don't often get this opportunity. I've never had this issue before. So stupidly, thought it would be ok. I had had a note disappear the other day, but just thought it an anomaly. Not so.

This is what I did.

Started a new note. Started the audio recorder. Did the lesson. Stopped the audio recorder and locked my phone. I went back to the note I stopped the recording on after the lesson and the note is now empty.

Is there anyway of recovering the audio on the iphone locally?

If anyone has any idea, please let me know.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

So, just to confirm: Multiple people have had this issue; it seems to be a serious (as in: very upsetting) issue; an Evernote admin said he was looking into it; and then ... crickets.

Is that right?...

OK. Good to know.

• Level 5

Multiple people have which issue ? That they exceed their note size limit (typically on free, 25MB is not really THAT much on audio), and what they recorded did not save ?

There is a help document about it, that tells it all:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314418

If the note size limit is exceeded while recording on the mobile client, the recording is lost.

It says as well how to avoid the problem: Use another service to grab the audio, attach it as a file. This has the advantage that if on Free, you can reduce the audio quality (which is usually not noticeable on speech recordings) and shrink the file. This will allow to save a longer recording in a smaller file. Basic audio recording is possible with apps that are delivered with each smartphone.

Is that the issue?... Sounds plausible -- but why didn't anyone say that - or anything else - when people were saying they had this issue?... They got crickets - even after an Evernote employee said he'd look into it 🤷‍♂️...

Great for you to chime in now though! ☺️❤️🙏

• Level 5

Well, we had similar cases (a few) in the forum before. Usually it is a problem for Free users, because the limit of 25MB is easier to reach than the 200MB of the subscribers.

The mobile clients are special in this respect - when the note size limit is exceeded, the audio recording is lost. On the desktop clients, it will offer to save the file to local storage. Don‘t ask me why - as another user I take it as it is.

Personally I use JustPressRecord on iOS (including Apple Watch) and Mac. It makes the recording, and then offers a transcript. Even better: You can share both files to EN. You have the transcript, which makes for a faster review, and is searchable, and you have the original audio file in case you want to go back to it. It will cost a small fee, which is worth the savings in time and effort.