Euro symbol

Bobsut

Idea

The previous version allowed control + alt  + 4 to insert the euro symbol in the note title and note.  Version 10.4 now only adds it to the title which is not useful.  Control + alt  +4 works in all other programs (text editiors, MS Word etc).  I see from other discussions that to insert the euro symbol you now have to used the key combination AltGr + 4.  Why would you change this and worse still not tell anyone.

8 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert

Ctrl+Alt+4 has never worked for me in any program to enter the Euro symbol.  I've always used Alt+0128 = €

My PC only offers Alt+xxxx for special characters.

Alt+ is the default Windows 10 key combination so I'm content with this...

Ctrl+Alt+4 does work as you describe for me in EN v10.2.4 and AltGr+4 works in the Title andthe body text. I have a new PC recetnly so perhaps Ctrl+Alt+4 will work in Word etc.

The Ctrl+Alt+4 is a standard combination for the Euro sign € on a British layout keyboard - now it's broken by this shortcut for opening Notebooks - a shortcut that can not be disabled or changed.

And on the laptop with no numerical keys on the side we can't do the RightAlt+0128 trick.

How can we disable that shortcut? is there any config file (as the shortcuts list displayed doesn't allow to modify it)?

• Level 5

You can check the keyboard shortcuts (little symbol down the left panel, or help menu) whether it can be modified. Hover with the mouse over any shortcut in the list, until 3 dots appear to the right (!) of the shortcut. If available, editing is there.

Thank you for the suggestion - I have used that to remove all Global shortcuts before (as they were interfering with my apps) but Global are the only shortcuts where those 3 dots appear. None of the internal shortcuts have an option for editing.

How in the world can Evernote not support the EUR symbol? It just seems inconceivable. But, that said, as near as I can tell, it is the case. I guess I'll just continue to type EUR.

• Level 5

It does support the € sign on matching keyboards.

On non matching keyboards combinations are different, just try to find what works: ctrl-alt-e, ctrl-alt-4, ctrl-alt-5 or altgr-e.

If none of these works, contact support.