Starting Evernote for Windows as System Tray Icon ONLY

Is it possible to configure Evernote (ver. 10 above) to start as the System Tray icon only and not open the main window.  In earlier versions, it was possible to configure a preference to start Evernote  with Windows startup.  I could not find this option in the new version.

I have created an Evernote shortcut in the Windows 10 Startup folder and can get the program to start with the main window and the System Tray icon, but would like to know if there is any command line parameter to just start the System Tray Icon.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  No information, I'm afraid - you could try raising this with Support,  but there will be a delay in responses given their present workload... Bear in mind this is a feature-poor launch package with much more flexibility to be added.... eventually.... so the ability may come back;  but meantime (as ever) the options are 1) just collapse the window or 2) go back to the Legacy version that has the options you need.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For me Evernote doesn't load at all on startup (Windows 10), I need to run it manually each time.

When it does load, it goes to the system tray.  However I did have to make it visible again (right click on taskbar > taskbar settings > Select which icons appear on the taskbar > re-enable evernote)

• Evernote Expert

@Mark. Create a shortcut to the Evernote program is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup = %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup THat will set Evernote to start when you reboot your PC.

@MikeDuncan177 I'd hoped that setting the shortcut to open minimized would do the trick but apparently not :(

• Like 1

@agsteele thanks for the work-around, that should help.

For the Evernote team - this should really be something that's built into the software, rather than requiring manual user intervention to set up.

• Like 2