Embedded music files don't play on web evernote

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
  • Solution

Web browsers are increasingly cautious about allowing web applications to have access to local resources.  If you can find another web-based app that plays or displays local files it might be worth raising this as a feature request,  but I suspect it is impossible.  The MP3 format is not played by the web client anyway - if you can get access to 'activate' the file it would be picked up by your installed MP3 software.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, peterlemer said:

since anyone else can download them.

Hi.  Have you shared pages or made them public?  Evernote is otherwise locked to your 2FA access,  including media stored online.  Depending on your location,  playing music in public might attract some attention,  but if you're listening on headphones I don't see any issues...

• Level 5

These audio formats are supported:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314418

You can argue that mp3 was there „forever“, but it never was supported, even not by legacy clients.

The audio depends on the client used. The web client isn’t even on the list - which means that since it doesn’t install anything on your computer (it’s no extension, just a browser session running in a window), it can’t install any audio codec either.

You can look for YT content and play YT videos directly from a note - even if these guys start to sing 🎶 

On 6/6/2023 at 11:48 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Have you shared pages or made them public?  Evernote is otherwise locked to your 2FA access,  including media stored online.  Depending on your location,  playing music in public might attract some attention,  but if you're listening on headphones I don't see any issues...

Sorry, I wasn;t clear. I'm a composer and the MP3s I refer to are my own sketches that I use within Evernote to assist my workflow. 🙂

Thanks for your response, gazumped 🙂

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

In this case you could store your clips at a private YT channel, and play them from the YT links clipped into EN.

Interesting! I would explore that routs if I thought there was a risk that pesky pirates would steal my ideas.

Is that likely given my current workflow? Can you, for example, play back one of my MP3s?

pete

• Level 5

Private YT channels are only accessible for those you allow into your channel.

But of course, everything stored in the cloud is technically accessible from any computer that can access the web. So it’s up to you to care for a good account security. This is BTW the same for an EN account. Use strong and unique passwords for every account, enable 2FA for those holding valuable data.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Private YT channels are only accessible for those you allow into your channel.

But of course, everything stored in the cloud is technically accessible from any computer that can access the web. So it’s up to you to care for a good account security. This is BTW the same for an EN account. Use strong and unique passwords for every account, enable 2FA for those holding valuable data.

My question was whether you could access my MP3s on Evernote, and I think your answer answered 🙂 thanks again