How to I move tags now?

Go to solution Solved by Grant R Nieddu,

I have same problem. All the tags are clearly meant to be dragged and dropped, because you can grab and drag them. But Evernote won't allow you to drop them anywhere. And I mean anywhere. I've tried. I've given up trying to prioritize tags. I would very happily go back to the earlier version of Evernote. But once you bite that apple, they kick you out of the garden.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 1:24 PM, howe@lifecourse.com said:

I have same problem. All the tags are clearly meant to be dragged and dropped, because you can grab and drag them. But Evernote won't allow you to drop them anywhere. And I mean anywhere. I've tried. I've given up trying to prioritize tags. I would very happily go back to the earlier version of Evernote. But once you bite that apple, they kick you out of the garden.

What do you mean by the last sentence? I was thinking about reverting back.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, howe@lifecourse.com said:

You can drag the tag onto a note in the note list to assign it to that note. All management of tags is now done in the main tags window which pops out when you click the tags icon in the sidebar.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have exactly the same problem.

Tagging is a much more powerful and flexible organizational mechanism.

I can only hope that this backward move in tag management is a bug, not a feature.

The new version has fixed all the bugs in the text editing - which was a real mess before - so I'm reluctant to revert to the old version: otherwise I would.

PLEASE, Evernote - sort out this tag management  mess!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Alex Goodall said:

I have exactly the same problem.

Tagging is a much more powerful and flexible organizational mechanism.

I can only hope that this backward move in tag management is a bug, not a feature.

The new version has fixed all the bugs in the text editing - which was a real mess before - so I'm reluctant to revert to the old version: otherwise I would.

PLEASE, Evernote - sort out this tag management  mess!

I'm not entirely clear what aspect of tag management you are concerned about. I agree that lots of things that used to possible from the tag hierarchy in the sidebar can no longer be done from the sidebar. However, as I pointed out in my post above, they can all be done from the main tag window. I would prefer that the side bar was as feature rich as the old sidebar for tags and notebooks. Is that what you are wanting too or do you have a problem with the main tag window?

On 12/9/2020 at 2:09 PM, DCB0303 said:

I need to move tags, into a new list, from either no list or another list as priorities change.

Not exactly sure what you mean by list. Do you mean move tafs within the tag hierarchy? If you do this can be achieved from the main tags window obtained by clicking the tags icon in the sidebar. It can no longer be done in the sidebar. 

• Thanks 1

I've found it. Not as I am used to though. Thanks. I would like to be able to move multiple tags, which I do not seem able to do. It appears quicker to create new tags, add them to the notes then remove the old tags from the notes and then delete them. Laborious.  

On 12/13/2020 at 4:31 PM, DCB0303 said:

I would like to be able to move multiple tags, which I do not seem able to do

I don't fully understand what you are trying to do. If you mean move multiple tags within the hierarchy. I agree you can't do that - I didn't know until I just tried it that you could do that in 6.25! You also can't drag a tag from an existing note to a new note.

You can assign a tag to multiple notes by selecting multiple notes and using the blue multiselect menu that appears. I don't really understand why new tags should behave differently from old tags - you obviously have a different workflow.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

I got it to work to drag-and-drop and reorder tags!

In short, first, CLICK the left-menu item that shows the tag icon and says 'Tags'. That pops out a drawer menu for tags specifically. You can drag-and-drop from that menu specifically! Video included. Worked both on the latest desktop app (version 10.5.7) AND web app (version 10.5.6).

Dragging and ordering tags from this screen: no

Evernote.thumb.png.fdf7295cc137a3c64412c2fd1a19ab07.png

Dragging and ordering tags from this screen: yes!!

1438570261_Evernote(1).thumb.png.ebe0d24d5f71dca64209767afc9b6bd8.png