Big GIF animations not running automaticaly

Fred V.

Idea

Hello,

since the newest iOS or MacOS version of Evernote is arrived I have a big issue with the GIF animations in my notes.

I create notes about videos of technical skills and I like to make small GIF files out of a part of the video to show instantly in my Evernote notes.

It worked perfectly but I think that in the new version the small GIF are running fine but the GIF files > 10MB are not showing but are only available as downloads.

I would like to have at least an option to be able to see the animation running automatically even with big GIF files.

That's another feature removed in the new version .. 

Thanks

• Thanks 1

6 replies to this idea

I also have this problem..
I have a note book that has all my Workout routines with reminders on each of them.

and all of the GIF are all  attachment for download... and it was frustrating. 
the new version of Evernote for desktop user sucks.. and keep getting suck every single version.  
it's really frustrating for paying customers like me.

I do not know how old your developers team are. 
but surely these people are not a desktop user but people who are a mobile user that wanted to force desktop user to get used to mobile user experience. 
they suck as desktop UX designer. 

this version become inefficient to use. instead of right clicking the notebook to rename it. you need to click the main notebook then go to the side back collapse the notebook find the notebook click on the action (...) button to rename it.  again dafuq is this UX design?  what happen to "working efficiently"  thing...  WHAT HAPPEN?   

how about you offer a separate version and call it a business version for desktop (I do not care if this is only available for premium user and above )
coz the new version really is frustrating to those paying subscribers. 

Seems to be the same problem as in https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/132654-no-inline-view-of-pdf-20mb/?tab=comments#comment-598726

They decided to enhance display performance by avoiding auto-display of big attachments. Maybe a setting will come up to define a limit for that? Nobody knows...

But to be honest: animated GIFs have been invented to be small and fast - I cannot see a really need of such big GIFs...

Regarding inefficient UX design: Yes, many things are not as fluidy as we love it from oder version. But this will become better over the time. For the moment all functions should be available the same way on all platforms.

For users who have to reside on their beloved workflows, there is a Legacy version available from https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote. You can have both versions installed in parallel (on Windows and Mac) to really work with Legacy and check for enhanced functionality time by time in EN-10.

I completely agree with @keruchan. Evernote is destroying what was the greatest part of their tool : a way to keep good notes and access them quickly. The notes have less features now and it's incredibly slow.

With Electron framework, even if it becomes better with new features or optimization I feel it will still use huge amount of RAM and be slow on all computers (even M1 thunder speed ones) 

The Evernote Legacy can help you keeping the same good old Desktop program but I'm afraid it won't stay too long.

2 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

They decided to enhance display performance by avoiding auto-display of big attachments. Maybe a setting will come up to define a limit for that? Nobody knows...

But to be honest: animated GIFs have been invented to be small and fast - I cannot see a really need of such big GIFs...

To reply to AlbertR, I think before removing any feature for display performance they should put a setting for power users to re-enable it. I know running long GIFs was a bit CPU intensive on old Evernote but it was one of the feature I liked most about Evernote.

I use them to make documentation about technical videos and keep small parts of the videos on GIF to be able to see them directly on Evernote. Most of them are less than 10MB and they are still running great. But when they are just a bit longer, while it was working great on old version, it is not working anymore on the new one and we need to click on it to open and see. Again UX issue. 

You know what ? I don't even trust Evernote people when they say they have removed this feature for display performance. Maybe that's just an Electron limitation. Why would they remove a feature so few people are using ? The new version of Evernote is a whole performance problem .. I don't think it's the GIF reader that cause the sadness we have now when we try to open the new version. 

All my statements are based on my personal findings and feelings 😉
Yes, I also cannot believe that EN-10 will become my all-the-time-tool within the next months because of performance and handling issues. But over the time I came to the same conclusion as Darryl Brooks in his Blog post https://dbvirago.medium.com/if-youve-never-tried-evernote-now-may-be-the-perfect-time-7a6526519674: EN-10 should help to widen EN's user base to grant a stable business. Legacy version enables legacy users to rely on their workflows until EN-10 meets their needs.

4 hours ago, Fred V. said:

You know what ? I don't even trust Evernote people when they say they have removed this feature for display performance. Maybe that's just an Electron limitation. Why would they remove a feature so few people are using ? The new version of Evernote is a whole performance problem .. I don't think it's the GIF reader that cause the sadness we have now when we try to open the new version. 

I don't either coz on my smartphone the GIF is doing fine.  

but on my desktop it behaves like an attachment. (would it be opposite if it's about performance?)

I'm using my smartphone of course when I'm working out so that's totally ok.  my note has atleast 5 Workouts GIF that has an average of 10 to 20mb. 
but when you are going to create a new one or edit it (which of course you're going to do it on desktop.  it make it harder for you to identify them.)

just look at it... it makes me cry. 

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Your smartphone does fine because it's not on EN-10 level? PLS check your EN version on your phone...
EN tries to move all systems to one code base, so a size limit of automatically running GIFs might hinder you in future 😞