Consider a Public Beta for future releases

Paul A.

Idea

Despite Evernote's best efforts, clearly there are some serious bugs that are affecting a decent number of people.

I wonder if they might reconsider their release approach with the next major version (both of iOS and the upcoming releases for the other platforms) and have a big, wide, public beta to better sniff out some of these edge cases which obviously were not caught during the more limited private beta?

5 replies to this idea

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

Discussion moved to the feedback/requests forum

You're too fast with the forum moves... I was counting on the high traffic in the new iOS thread to get some traction on this (exceedingly logical, IMHO!) request. The more responses it gets, the better the chance Evernote will take the feedback into consideration...

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

This seems to be Evernote's process for a public beta 🙂 
Have you seen Evernote/Web and the "new" version

At least the new web version allows returning to the old editor whenever there's a problem. My understanding is that the new iOS version completely replaces the previous version and makes it impossible to re-install the old version!

In Evernote's defense, one possible issue is that Apple makes it very difficult if not impossible to have public betas on iOS. But that's not the case for Windows/Mac/Android, so there's really no excuse to not broaden the testing pool there before they push the new version "live."

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

You're too fast with the forum moves... I was counting on the high traffic in the new iOS thread to get some traction on this (exceedingly logical, IMHO!) request. The more responses it gets, the better the chance Evernote will take the feedback into consideration...

This forum provides for recording user votes   
To indicate support, we use the vote button at the top left of the discussion   
I added my vote

>>My understanding is that the new iOS version completely replaces the previous version and makes it impossible to re-install the old version!

I've participated in other beta testing where the version was controlled by Testflight     
We could back out of the beta version

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I've participated in other beta testing where the version was controlled by Testflight     
We could back out of the beta version

TestFlight has a strict cap of 10,000 beta testers max AFAIK, almost certainly not enough for a public beta for an app with Evernote's popularity.

See: https://developer.apple.com/testflight/

Thanks for the vote.

49 分鐘前, Paul A.說:

TestFlight has a strict cap of 10,000 beta testers max AFAIK, almost certainly not enough for a public beta for an app with Evernote's popularity.

See: https://developer.apple.com/testflight/

Thanks for the vote.

They claimed a total of 150,000 users were involved in the beta.

Rather than beta, I would suggest they develop a new app which is like v10.0 now while keeping v8.24.6 (called legacy) without any updates except some necessary fix or ensure compatibility with iOS versions, allowing time for users to try new things and provide feedbacks, and for developers to make it better and bring back all features, until the app is mature and most users are willing to use it and they no longer find major problems.

• Like 2