Evernote for Linux

pranjalstomar

Idea

Will it be possible for developers to please consider the idea of having desktop client for linux? I am a premium subscriber and I can't use many features.Only thing that I am able to do is to make larger size notes.  I can't use ink notes which I desperately want to. There is no evernote client for linux. The alternatives just run the web version. Features such as making ink notes and other extended functionalities are simply absent.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

27 replies to this idea

I check just about every day to see if the client for Linux is out yet. I love Evernote, but I've started looking at some of the alternatives lately. A Linux client would definitely keep me here. I really have no desire to learn a new program and go through the tedious work of importing all my notes. I wish we had some kind of time frame on this. It would  be a real kick in the shorts if they abandoned the idea.

• Like 2

Ian Small, CEO of Evernote, said that they're gonna built native Linux client this year. No delivery date has been announced to the public just yet. I'm a Linux user just like you and I'm very sad that they haven't been concerned with Linux users  from the very beginning, and I have been using Evernote for around 8 years now.

I'm still waiting for their Linux client.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, LaFlamme said:

I check just about every day to see if the client for Linux is out yet. I love Evernote, but I've started looking at some of the alternatives lately. A Linux client would definitely keep me here. I really have no desire to learn a new program and go through the tedious work of importing all my notes. I wish we had some kind of time frame on this. It would  be a real kick in the shorts if they abandoned the idea.

Last I've seen, recently in an interview with Ian Small, is that Linux is definitely coming.  There were first going to stabilize the Windows, Mac and IOS clients first before rolling out Android and Linux.  

Evernote never provides target dates, but at least they have indicated that a Linux client is coming.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Last I've seen, recently in an interview with Ian Small, is that Linux is definitely coming.  There were first going to stabilize the Windows, Mac and IOS clients first before rolling out Android and Linux.  

Evernote never provides target dates, but at least they have indicated that a Linux client is coming.

Yeah, and the other platform updates have been rolled out so it feels like it could be any day. Can't wait. 

Em 21/10/2020 at 18:09, s2sailor disse:

🙇

8 hours ago, Clênio said:

Another year of suffering with web version :(

Aaaaany day now, I tell myself. I literally check a couple times a day, peeking into the EN blog, doing news searches, etc. Nothing, nothing and nothing. I've been pondering a move to something like Simplenote, but I just KNOW that as soon as I get it set up, the EN client will launch. Maybe I should do it for that reason alone.

I also was waiting for linux version for ages, but now with macOS client switching to electron based app I have hopes that linux version is not that far away. It'll be good to have native client, but if I need to choose between web and electron, I'll bite the bullet. It's good that my linux machine has enough RAM xD

I have been an Evernote customer for years and very disappointed at not being taken seriously as a Linux user. I was willing to wait for Ian to make good on his 2020 promise. It is 2021 now, and I am done waiting. The note taking app market for Linux has grown and the dependency on Evernote backed clients is waning. Tools like Notable (https://notable.app/) and Joplin (https://joplinapp.org/). Provide very robust alternatives for Evernote and, being in the opensource domain they are free to use. Do consider donating to enable continued improvements.

I am in the process of migrating my evernotes archive to Joplin. It provides a similar function set as Evernote and uses standard storage services like Dropbox, Nextcloud webdav and others to facilitate replication without having to unnecessarily trust a third party to handle my data. An easy to configure data encryption ensures me my data is not compromised. Joplin provides a client for Android, IOS, Windows, Mac and Linux.

I used OneNote but got tired of the problems it had on Mac and Windows with renaming notebooks, etc.   When I heard Evernote was going to release a Linux client I switched and paid for the service... I joined the beta program to hopefully use what I thought would have already been in beta.  But noting.

If when its time to renew my membership (I paid yearly) and there isn't anything released or even announced I'm not going to renew.

Hey everyone...  I actually was running an old version of evernote in wine, the more recent versions didn't work very well or install at all.  It wasn't perfect.. it had issues but it was usable.

With the release of wine 6, the latest version of Evernote actually installed and runs great... much better than the old one.  If there are some features that don't work yet I' haven't tried using them yet.  Just an fyi!

41 minutes ago, llabusch93 said:

Hey @jameslmoser

Funny I tried exactly this with wine 6 yesterday, but it did not work.... Did you use bare wine, or anything like PlayOnLinux or anything esle?

would be great if you could share the details :)

I actually am running a pretty fresh install of Fedora 33 and just installed wine using dnf.  I only have an older version of iTunes installed in the same prefix. I installed a bunch of fonts, gdiplus, msls31, msxml3 using winetricks.  Then just "wine evernoteinstaller.exe" (that is not the exact name of the file, but you get the idea). That was pretty much it.  Its 64bit prefix, configured as Windows 10.  I was pleasantly surprised it all worked so well.    What was the error you were encountering?

I'm 100% sure the Linux version will come out this semester... here's why:

1. There is an early access program already in place for Evernote on Linux, they are testing it already on Linux, it is a reality.

2. They are still stabilizing the Windows and Mac versions, as soon as those 2 are in a better shape, the turn will come for Linux.

3. The pace at which these updates are coming makes me think the time for Linux will come very soon.

Just now, Camilo Contreras said:

I'm 100% sure the Linux version will come out this semester... here's why:

1. There is an early access program already in place for Evernote on Linux, they are testing it already on Linux, it is a reality.

2. They are still stabilizing the Windows and Mac versions, as soon as those 2 are in a better shape, the turn will come for Linux.

3. The pace at which these updates are coming makes me think the time for Linux will come very soon.

Where did you see this?  I looked everywhere for it.. I am signed up as one of their early access/beta users and got emails about nothing but the window's version.

Well ... I have waited and waited. I went ahead and installed Joplin. Since I had nearly 3000 notes and nearly 15 GB of material, the transfer wasn't easy, but it is done and I really like what I see so far. Plus, I can sync with Dropbox. It is annoying that evernote exports in such a lousy fashion, which I guess is to make sure it isn't easy to change vendors. 

I waited and waited and waited for the Beta version of the new program and had just about given up when finally it came my way. Within three minutes of receiving it, I had the EN client set up and working fine on my Linux Mint machine. I'm not sure why some Beta program users are getting it and some are not. It seems like they've got to be near ready for the official roll out. Been a year since the announcement. Anyway, hope you all get satisfaction soon. I was bitching about it daily until last week when the client finally came my way.

• Like 1

"So did I get it right, you have the official Evernote Linux beta client? Sexy! Tell us, how is it? Share your bless with us, so we can keep up our mood down here in the waiting hall."

Yep, I got it. Nick, one of the administrators (I think) sent me an invite and bam! There it was. Wish I could somehow pass the invite along to you long suffering souls, but I'm not sure how the hell that work. Anyway, I'm loving the client. I'd been using the web version for a year and suffering its limitations. Before that, I'd been using a very old version of Evernote on a Windows machine. I just preferred the old client to the new, streamlined versions. Compared to that old version I used to use (can't remember the V number,) this Beta for Linux seems super slim. Not much to it, really. But I can drag and drop, batch manage notes, open notes in a new window, etc. so I'm pretty happy with it. I've never been a very advanced Evernote user. My needs are pretty straightforward. Notes, notebooks, stacks... This beta does everything I need it to so far. Here's hoping you all get brought into the party sooner than later.

I never experimented with Wine, myself. I'm not familiar with it and I've heard mixed things about how Evernote works that way so I never bothered. I did try a few of the other note applications, but I'm pretty much married to Evernotes way of doing things so I ended up ditching them all. Really hope the official client is upon us soon so everyone can get the satisfaction. My comrades are still suffering out there in the cold! Or something.

• I am using Evernote since early 2000-something.
  • Simple: timeline, tags, search. Data replication with USB or Network. Nice!
  • As stand alone software. Running in wine - linux. This was working. Somehow. But working. And i loved it.

Since the "modernized" version with "cloud" :

• the installation with wine was a alternating nightmare combined
  • with a partly working client.
  • Sometimes this worked
  • mostly it was a mess
  • but in the end I had to work it out.

But I could use the notes with multiple devices and some times i could still recognize the lovely product it could be.

Then this was crippled to 2 devices for free users.

OK, now I pay for it. But what now?

• The wine installation is on some linux-clients working.
  • On some not.
  • The webclient is a webclient.
  • No web no client. Browser restart.

What happend?! 2020 January!  - THE CEO says in https://evernote.com/blog/2020-update-progress-road-ahead/ "Yes!" there will be a linux client…

But wait its 2021/03! - Where is the client? Can one find a note about it on any official statement?

Some say it will be an electron-app?!

• Signal has one an app on linux - Electron!
  • Even Microsoft tries to bribe me to use Teams with an Linux-electron-App?!
  • Evernote?

I am getting bored, tired of waiting and not willing anymore fixing installation problems with evernote and wine and paying for it.

Making me again thinking about turning away from a once about the time nice idea. For ever.

• Like 3