Multiple User Accounts Not Shown?

Until setting my wife up recently with her own PC and EN 'Basic' Account... I had her added as a User on my EN-for-Windows v6.25.1 desktop

1.jpg.5aab6287d175cf28e78a6874c7c8ee98.jpg

In the recent past The Menu > File drop-down list, displayed both account names/emails, all the time, and I only had to switch between.  I removed her off my desktop a few weeks back given she has her own setup now, but once again added her back on my EN-desktop the other day, however now her account name fails to remain...it continues to just show one account, meaning I need to her add her every time, and then when selecting her account EN opens a new window.

My question is what happened to both accounts being present/displayed all the time?  Will I need to 'Add' her account all the time? cheers

• Level 5*

Hiya.  AFAIK you should still have the same ability - I tend to have one extra account listed,  and it's still there at the moment. 

When you add the account do you sync and File > Exit Evernote to 'fix' the change?  If not,  doing does that make a difference?

• Thanks 1

Thanks @gazumped the only thing that changed between then and now, is that I finally took the plunge and updated EN from v6.18 to 6.25.

After the 1st time Her EN database/user should at least be added to my Program Files/EN database, right...I will check.  As since then and when 'add user' adding her again, it doesn't look like her whole database is downloaded again to my PC, though the sync takes longer than it should for her small number of notes.  Maybe it's got something with sharing notebooks between us, her to me, me-to-her...who knows, anyone? 

**EDIT

I just checked the database folder @  C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Databases)  and her Db files are there, BUT, all with today's date. As I just now added her again, which involved simply signing her in. Does this mean her whole db files were re-downloaded again -or- the date changes due to syncing? 

Also before signing out all users from EN, I tried just closing and opening EN resulting in both users still being displayed.  So it only happens when 'signing out all users'...thx

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

Maybe it's got something with sharing notebooks between us, her to me, me-to-her...

If you're sharing notebooks,  then you wouldn't have (or need) the option to switch from one account to the other.  My second account is somewhere separate I can go if my main account is being difficult.  I can log into that #2 account and create notes direct,  or I can look at the 'shared with me' section of my #1 account and see the same notes (from the shared notebook) - but with a few less privileges.

#2 has it's own database in my Evernote folders,  and I can log into it as though it were my own (which it is...) but I can also behave like I'm a colleague and access the shared notes from my own account.  I never checked to see whether those notes are also saved in #1 account,  or whether I access them from the server...

OK - that's not exactly a clear summary (currently working late and on Linux- sanity optional for a while) but hopefully you get the differences...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you're sharing notebooks,  then you wouldn't have (or need) the option to switch from one account to the other.

Agreed...hence why I removed her in the 1st place.  But sometimes, and rather than going to her PC, I will get in to her account and organise/structure her Stacks/Notebooks until she figures out what works best for her. Apart from that I like the back-up benefits of having both our databases live on both PC's.  Then our PC's backup to MS OneDrive, which left me with wondering whether I need EN Bckupery app subscription...cheers 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

our PC's backup to MS OneDrive

There's a whole debate somewhere about the technicalities of backing up the Databases folder to an external HD -vs- an individual notebook backup to ENEX.

The issue being that your HD databases folder backup is (necessarily) from hours or days into the past.  If you've suffered some issue that compromised the server copy of your notes, they still are more up to date (even if wrong) that your backup.

If you restore the backup,  the server will likely overwrite the old, correct content with the newer corrupted version.  It should be possible to get around that by some inventive editing and copying,  but there's extra work,  and if you make any mistakes...

I get a daily backup from Backupery on my main account which goes notebook-by-notebook to individual ENEX files.  Much easier to deal with in the event of errors. I'd need another account though to cover my second account - so I didn't bother... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1