Lost notes

Tomas Prihoda

I just downloaded new public Beta, instaled it, but i lost my notes in one certain note and it shows me notes from about 3 days ago. It also changes notes on other devices. Is there any option how to get my notes back? Any midnight backup or something similar? Its really important to get those back, i mean really important.

Thanks

• Level 5*

Yeah, I think part of the instructions for the Windows desktop Beta are to sync before installing.  So if you had any unsynced notes when you installed they may be lost.  Best bet may be to go back to the current Windows version.  There have been some issues reported with the beta not displaying all notes even though they are there.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Tomas Prihoda said:

Well it happened...

Thing I don't know is if the old EXB file is still on your computer.  If it is in theory it may have the unsynced notes in it, depending upon the timing you have for Automatically save edited note.  So you could look in the old location or do a search for *.exb.

• Level 5

Then - if there is no backup you could revert to - the notes that were not synced to the server are probably lost.

Personally I run 2 backup jobs: On my Windows PC Acronis True Image runs a daily backup of the EN database file. On my Mac TimeMachine saves continuously the whole Mac, including the EN installation. Both backups send their data to my NAS, where another backup is set up for disaster recovery.

In case of EN this may be a little overkill, because it saves (normally) to the server as well. But because it is embedded into my backup structure, there is no need to avoid it. These few GB don't have an impact.

Thanks a lot for your help. I alrady accepted my fault - not closing the app before installing the new version. On the other hand if the files are only synced when app is closed, this is not the best option i think and I will probably switch to OneNote, i didnt find the option to set up automatic saving after the document changes...

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Tomas Prihoda said:

Thanks a lot for your help. I alrady accepted my fault - not closing the app before installing the new version. On the other hand if the files are only synced when app is closed, this is not the best option i think and I will probably switch to OneNote, i didnt find the option to set up automatic saving after the document changes...

Tools - Options - Synchronization is where you sync settings live.  Here you can set the frequency of sync and syncing when exiting the program.  I set mine for 5 minutes. 

The automatically save edited note setting impacts how often the local EXB file is updated while you are editing a specific note.  Best for it to be less than sync frequency.

image.png.a72bb107e77b44d545afe895d23d21b6.png