Why does app shut down when screen sleeps???

I search my iPad for a recipe, and if don't keep poking at the screen it goes to sleep, and then I have to relaunch the app and redo the search. The recipe I searched for doesn't even appear in the suggested recent searches so I have to re-enter the search terms.

This is SOOOO annoying. If there is no fix I'll be moving all my recipes to a different app.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, joiede said:

Why does app shut down when screen sleeps?

It's an IOS feature   
The latest version is aggressive at terminating non-active apps

• Like 2
  • Level 5

To reduce this issue, you can go to iOS settings, screen & brightness (or something similar, I have to translate it) and set a longer time in the option „Automatic lock“. This means it will extend the time until it shuts itself off.

This will however put a strain on your battery. And it is a global setting, you can’t do it just for EN.

I don’t think that’s it. For example when I reopen the kindle app or Twitter, I am right at the place I left off. In Evernote I have to re-enter the search term again. It doesn’t even remember that I just looked for that piece of info. Even this page is still here when I go to another app and return.

• Level 5

It is it, if you think so or not, plus that EN did not adapt to this change in how iOS is treating background activity since iOS 13. There were posts about this subject in the forum before the release of iOS 13, but they have become more frequent and more intense since.

There are Apps that do better with shut down  - but at the moment the only workaround is to keep the i-device awake and alive as long as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 4:37 PM, PinkElephant said:

It is it, if you think so or not, plus that EN did not adapt to this change in how iOS is treating background activity since iOS 13. There were posts about this subject in the forum before the release of iOS 13, but they have become more frequent and more intense since.

There are Apps that do better with shut down  - but at the moment the only workaround is to keep the i-device awake and alive as long as possible.

This is just not true. No other app does this on my iPhone 11, just EN.