Purge Rarely Viewed Content on single device and note links

Four questions about using "purge rarely viewed content".

1. I have a powerful laptop and another that isn't so powerful. I log in to the same Evernote account on both. I can set "purge rarely viewed content" on just the one laptop and it will not affect my other laptop correct? I mean Evernote settings are per device, not per account?

2. I recently discovered that exporting and re-importing notes loses all internal links used to refer to those notes. If I set my laptop to purge, do I lose any of the internal links (like in Table of Contents pages)? I guess I'm asking if the note comes back with the exact same address that was used in creating the internal links.

3. My Recipes notebook is shared with a free account that I use on a kitchen tablet. I have shortcuts to a few of my partner's recipes on the Android Homepage. If he clicks on the "Best RIbs Ever" Evernote shortcut on the device's homepage and that recipe has been expunged, what will happen? Will the link still work? Will it open within Evernote? or will it open via a webpage?

4. Most important, really... does anyone have any insight as to whether or not Evernote plans on allowing for different triggers for the purge other than "days old"? It would be great if I could just purge the stuff in an Archive notebook, or anything tagged with archive.  If something like this is in the works, I may hold off on enabling this purging business because to be honest, I'd rather keep some older files than some newer ones tagged as archive.

• Level 5*

Hi @lisec.  Have to stress I have no inside knowledge and I'm not currently using the 'purge' process because my dumber laptop got converted to Linux; but I did run it quite happily when both laptops ran Windows.  One had the full 20GB database (which I regard as essential for local backup reasons) and the other had less than 100MB. It did take longer to open notes if I hadn't viewed them on laptop #2 recently but the main database - which is kept on the server - remains the same. Nothing is deleted.

That should mean that your internal links won't be affected, but I have no experience there. If you restored the database from the server you'd expect the links still to be in place,  so I'd have a lot of confidence that you'd be OK.. but they're not my links...

Again the shared situation - your laptop and the others that share a notebook all have access to the server copy of the database.  You could see a note if you wanted to - I'd expect the other accounts can too.

And - different trigger options?  You'd have to ask Support;  you know the usual mantra "Evernote don't normally comment..."

Let us know how you get on!! ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, lisec said:

Four questions about using "purge rarely viewed content".

1. I have a powerful laptop and another that isn't so powerful. I log in to the same Evernote account on both. I can set "purge rarely viewed content" on just the one laptop and it will not affect my other laptop correct? I mean Evernote settings are per device, not per account?

2. I recently discovered that exporting and re-importing notes loses all internal links used to refer to those notes. If I set my laptop to purge, do I lose any of the internal links (like in Table of Contents pages)? I guess I'm asking if the note comes back with the exact same address that was used in creating the internal links.

3. My Recipes notebook is shared with a free account that I use on a kitchen tablet. I have shortcuts to a few of my partner's recipes on the Android Homepage. If he clicks on the "Best RIbs Ever" Evernote shortcut on the device's homepage and that recipe has been expunged, what will happen? Will the link still work? Will it open within Evernote? or will it open via a webpage?

4. Most important, really... does anyone have any insight as to whether or not Evernote plans on allowing for different triggers for the purge other than "days old"? It would be great if I could just purge the stuff in an Archive notebook, or anything tagged with archive.  If something like this is in the works, I may hold off on enabling this purging business because to be honest, I'd rather keep some older files than some newer ones tagged as archive.

1.  ODS can be set on one and not set on the other, purge days can be different if ODS on two machines.

2.  Links are based on the server so purging should have no impact.  Purge just removes the note contents from the local machine.

3.  It should access the recipe as it did before.  But that's an I think.

4.  No idea as with all things EN internal.  :shrug: 

To your main concern, ODS is by machine not account.  I use ODS on a backup which I use very infrequently.  Much quicker whenever I do turn it on in that only the note headers sync. I do not use ODS on my main machine to avoid the things that are issues with ODS for me, mentioned earlier in a different thread I think.  If you do not have performance issues or disc space issues I"m not sure I see the benefit of ODS.  My opinion anyway.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

but I did run it quite happily when both laptops ran Windows.  One had the full 20GB database (which I regard as essential for local backup reasons) and the other had less than 100MB. It did take longer to open notes if I hadn't viewed them on laptop #2 recently but the main database - which is kept on the server - remains the same. Nothing is deleted.

Thanks gazumped. Yeah, you are the reason that I always keep my full database going - the idea of not being able to backup my full exb file makes me way too nervous.

And - different trigger options?  You'd have to ask Support;  you know the usual mantra "Evernote don't normally comment..."

Let us know how you get on!! ;)

I know, I know... Was worth a shot to see if anyone had an ear on the door.;)

One thing just occurred to me though. I know you use Filterize. Were you using it before you switched to Linux? Just wondering what happens when the notes are on the server only. Actually I suppose nothing happens because that's where Filterize gets the notes anyway! I'm just paranoid about changing things up. In my experience if you don't think through every single possibility before doing anything with software you can be in for major surprises.

21 minutes ago, CalS said:

To your main concern, ODS is by machine not account.  I use ODS on a backup which I use very infrequently.  Much quicker whenever I do turn it on in that only the note headers sync. I do not use ODS on my main machine to avoid the things that are issues with ODS for me, mentioned earlier in a different thread I think.  If you do not have performance issues or disc space issues I"m not sure I see the benefit of ODS.  My opinion anyway.

Thanks CalS. Answered all my question.  And you are right - maybe I should just leave well-enough alone, at least until my Surface Pro can't handle the 20GB exb file. I just imported over 1,000 large woodworking files into my main account and took my surface pro into the kitchen yesterday to get my ice cream recipe and lo and behold it had to sync all those files! I got mad at myself and thought - that's it! I'm going small!  But really, I *should* leave it alone for as long as I can. I mean I bought that to travel and boy would I be pissed if all my travel files were online only and I had no wifi!  If I can I'll wait and see if Evernote ever implement different criteria for purging. 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, lisec said:

Were you using it before you switched to Linux?

Yup.  No change at all though - I still fiddle with Filterize settings through the web page,  and see the changes in Evernote Web.  (Wonder if that wonderful Evernote for Linux is going to make an entrance anytime soon!!!)

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Wonder if that wonderful Evernote for Linux is going to make an entrance anytime soon!!!

Better get in line now and stay there for 10 years 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, lisec said:

But really, I *should* leave it alone for as long as I can. I mean I bought that to travel and boy would I be pissed if all my travel files were online only and I had no wifi!  If I can I'll wait and see if Evernote ever implement different criteria for purging. 

Funny my second machine is a Surface I got for travel.  My view is I am seldom without WiFi of some sort or I can create access with my phone and a cell signal if need be. May be slow but I only have to sync headers and the specific notes I need. 

I think the the enhancement request I have seen that fits this situation best is synchronizing by notebook.  Like offline notebooks in IOS.  Easier to remember which notebooks sync and be sure to store the critical notes there.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CalS said:

I am seldom without WiFi of some sort or I can create access with my phone and a cell signal if need be. May be slow but I only have to sync headers and the specific notes I need. 

True. We've pretty much had wifi everywhere except for fishing in Northern Ontario. Using data, though is an interesting thought. When we are out of country we get SIM cards so that's fine, but for out-of town travel, well my data plan is 25 MB (yup, you read that correctly).  Of course I pay only $15 /month, and I only pay $5 more for each of these increments: 100, 250, 500, 1GB. 😉

I think the the enhancement request I have seen that fits this situation best is synchronizing by notebook.  Like offline notebooks in IOS.  Easier to remember which notebooks sync and be sure to store the critical notes there.

Yeah, that makes the most sense, plus way easier to implement I would think.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, lisec said:

True. We've pretty much had wifi everywhere except for fishing in Northern Ontario. Using data, though is an interesting thought. When we are out of country we get SIM cards so that's fine, but for out-of town travel, well my data plan is 25 MB (yup, you read that correctly).  Of course I pay only $15 /month, and I only pay $5 more for each of these increments: 100, 250, 500, 1GB. 😉

Yeah, that makes the most sense, plus way easier to implement I would think.

I have one of those family plans so more data than we can eat typically. 

30 minutes ago, CalS said:

One thing to be clear for anyone reading this thread, the selective sync by notebook request means sync only header data for notebooks not flagged as sync.  All the notes still sync.