BurgerTime100

Can textexpander insert formatted text? Or links?

Hi all -

I used Evernote and TextExpander a lot and it's very useful. What I would really like would be for textexpander to be able to insert formatting, even basic formatting, to an Evernote note.

Is there a way to do this? Even bold/underline would be great! 

Any advice appreciated.. thanks!

Hi. With queries like this it's always good to know what device and OS you're using...and whether this is the mobile/web/installed version of Evernote.

There's no way to use a third party app to apply styles to an existing note,  but you could set up a template with 'holding text' in the right format and style - for example:

Telephone Note

date/time                                                    from

Details

- and then replace the already-styled text with your own content.

This could also be done by setting up a note in the correct format as a template.

On 6/18/2020 at 12:22 PM, BurgerTime100 said:

Hi all -

I used Evernote and TextExpander a lot and it's very useful. What I would really like would be for textexpander to be able to insert formatting, even basic formatting, to an Evernote note.

Is there a way to do this? Even bold/underline would be great! 

Any advice appreciated.. thanks!

You can use a text expander to format text.  Highlight whatever and then a hotkey which starts with Ctrl+D and applies whatever formats.  Works for simple things that are on the Ctrl+D panel.

1 hour ago, CalS said:

You can use a text expander to format text.  Highlight whatever and then a hotkey which starts with Ctrl+D and applies whatever formats.  Works for simple things that are on the Ctrl+D panel.

Hi - I'm not exactly understanding this. With textexpander, I just type a code like ;expandthis and the expander does the rest. I am on a Mac but can't find any ctrl-D or option-D panel!

17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi. With queries like this it's always good to know what device and OS you're using...and whether this is the mobile/web/installed version of Evernote.

There's no way to use a third party app to apply styles to an existing note,  but you could set up a template with 'holding text' in the right format and style - for example:

Telephone Note

date/time                                                    from

Details

- and then replace the already-styled text with your own content.

This could also be done by setting up a note in the correct format as a template.

Hi - I'm on a Macbook with whatever OS is most recent, using the installed/desktop app for OSX. 

I like your suggestion, but I frequently use one note multiple times, and continue adding content to it while using the expander. 

2 hours ago, BurgerTime100 said:

Hi - I'm not exactly understanding this. With textexpander, I just type a code like ;expandthis and the expander does the rest. I am on a Mac but can't find any ctrl-D or option-D panel!

Ctrl+D is a a Windows thing, opens a font panel, see below.  I use PhraseExpress as a text expander plus.  Example of make highlighted text red below, activated by Ctrl+Win+R.

image.png.bc7bf61926843916264bd4d7ef1259a2.png

ScreenClip.png.801e5f8eb803049e291895951bd5fe4f.png

15 hours ago, BurgerTime100 said:

I like your suggestion, but I frequently use one note multiple times, and continue adding content to it while using the expander.

...Sounds like your query is more about the features of Text Expander  - if you use it to insert text that is already bold and/ or italic AFAIK it should work.