Allow a single note to be Always on top / Float on top of all other windows

mv1234

Idea

16 replies to this idea

I want to second this. It would give me a reason to stick with Evernote instead of migrating to Onenote.

Notezilla can stay on top like you describe, and I use it frequently to take notes. For example during a zoom conference, when the presenter shares their screen, Zoom would cover an Evernote note window; but a Notezilla window stays on top.

49 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  What exactly is it that the note is "floating on top" of?  Evernote has the ability to open a note in its own window,  which can be floated anywhere you want...

"Stay on top" / "Always on top" i.e. keep the window on top of all other windows. There was a tool called Afloat which worked for previous macOS versions but does not for macOS Catalina.

Example - If I am reading a PDF or an article on a webpage, I do not want to constantly find my note from behind the webpage / PDF to type.

The native Notes app has this functionality (see screenshot) too. Also, have added another screenshot from Bear which shows a little symbol on the bottom right of the note which toggles the "Always on top" or not - which is pretty handy. 

So, all in all, looks like the OS does have the API / functionality to do this (given Bear + other apps use it). I would love for Evernote to implement this please!  

Thanks.

image.png.7c824aeda7dccd7c4d3a4fc067cbb053.png

image.thumb.png.f4208ac3d08a240f516af565dbf1deb2.png

• Level 5*

Thanks for the further description - I guess that could be useful,  but I tend to work with 3 monitors.  Anything I need to stay 'on top' gets pegged to one of the side screens where I can see and use it.  Also Windows has a 'paging' system where a keypress will cycle through all open apps,  with a default to jump back to the window you were just looking at. It's easy to swop between apps,  even if I'm doing it when copying different sections from one to the other.  (Not trying to start an OS argument,  just pointing out the floating option is a nice to have feature for many users,  rather than an essential...). 

However;  if this gets some more votes...

I see that this was previously requested here. 

I have also upvoted the request, but I'm pretty sure lots of users searching wouldn't go through the trouble of registering and choosing a display name just to amplify this request. This is a deal breaker for lots of users. This was a joy to use on Tusk for Evernote (Linux). I've recently switched to a Mac and it's quite disappointing that the official Evernote app doesn't have this. For now, I will be using the Apple Notes app to take notes and copy/paste into Evernote when done. Not ideal, considering that formatting across both apps isn't preserved but a potentially viable alternative. 

Why this feature is not implemented? I'm very surprised. It's an obvious thing actually. I'm using 2 screens: one with video for study - second for evernote and website for practising. Why should I deal with switching between windows? 

Love Evernote, but considering switching to Bear because this still has not been implemented. Being able to keep a single note window floating on top is essential for better note taking in virtual meetings.

on Windows, I found one hacky way that works: install AutoHotkey, and in there define a function-key as a hotkey, whose function is to make the current window stay on top. It's described at https://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/windows-programs-always-on-top/

It's very convenient after it's set up. But still a frame remains around the evernote window so it's not as clean as Notezilla. But it does contain your note.

BTW, on Android there's an app similar to Notezilla called "Floating Sickies" - really helpful during a phone call when they tell you things like "Hangup, call 1234567, then after the voice prompt give your account number then type 7373235, haveanicedaygoodbye." No I don't work for any of these companies, just sharing my note-taking methods.

Hey, guys, I figured it out recently how to stay the sticky note always on top, just click the right bottom Evernote logo can do that.

No thanks, It's my pleasure, 

image.png.471a716aeed43063207561f81cc36e2b.png

Before you can do that, you must turn your normal notes to sticky notes:

image.thumb.png.63ee7db8fe4e3a3901e7c6ad82372a1a.png

Best, 
Leon

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Red Hen Media said:

Yes! Please add this option post haste. Thanks! In the meantime I need something that does this right away, so I'm forced to check out OneNote (Bear is mac ox, I'm currently using Windows for work).

Again,  please explain exactly what you're looking for and on what device / OS?  After 2 years of silence on this topic and a massive 12 users wanting it,  Evernote is hardly likely to go to the trouble of developing a new feature just for this small audience...

I think it would be a nice feature to have and I added my vote, but definitely not a make-it-or-break-it feature for me -- it's not even on my list of 21 features that I'd like to see. (And *none* of those 21 features are a "if only Evernote would do this then I would stay / not leave.)

There was another thread that I saw recently where this was being discussed and I commented there too.

...found it:

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Benn said:

That link gets me "Error 1020 Ray ID: 6e7288b85eca88b6 • 2022-03-05 11:32:58 UTC - Access denied"

All of this seems a whole lot of trouble to go to when the menu bar at the bottom of the screen gives me instant access to any of the apps I currently have running,  and Alt+tab pops up a jump screen where I can instantly scroll to the last app I used and/ or between all of them.  The occasional 'stay on top' windows I get are usually more annoying than helpful - just a waste of screen space (and I use three monitors!) - unless they're warnings of some kind.