Ability to move shared notes to other notebooks

Scott Mosley

Idea

As the creator of a note, I have the ability to share any note from any of my notebooks with any other Evernote user. I can even give that user the ability to edit and invite others to the same note. But any recipient of the note is only able to find the shared note in the 'shared with me' notebook. Many of the people that I share notes with have mentioned that they have their own organization structure (notebooks, tags...etc) and would prefer to put that shared note within one of their own notebooks instead of always having to find it in the 'shared with me' notebook. 

I have the option to share an entire notebook, but this doesn't provide the same outcome since my way of organizing my notes may be different than another person that I'm sharing a note with. Plus, I may not want to share everything within that notebook with others, I only want to share the one note with them. 

This would be similar to how documents are shared in Office 365 of Google Drive. The document itself has the share permission, but the location of the document can be adjusted by each person that has access. They can put it in their own folders and tag it however they want to. They can also find the document in a "shared with me" style folder/filter, but they have the flexibility to put the document in a place that is most helpful for them since it's in that user's own file structure. 

• Like 1

9 replies to this idea

Does anyone have more insight into this issue?  It seems very odd that as a recipient of a shared note, I cannot at least move it into a specific notebook. 

This should certainly be changed if EN is serious about being a collaboration tool.  

• Level 5

A note shared to you still „belongs“ to the account that shared it. Depending on your rights, you can modify it, but it will only allow collaboration when it stays in the shared notebook.

To „own“ the note, duplicate/copy it to another notebook.

I am bumping up against the same challenge.  I use Evernote extensively and, at my urging, my husband has recently subscribed to Evernote after having lightly used the free version until that was no longer an option.   So he has his own organizational structure into which the goal would be for him to be able to incorporate the notes and/or notebooks I share with him.    We were really disappointed to find that when he moved a note from a notebook I had shared with him into his own (unshared) notebook, that note disappeared from my Evernote all together until he moved them back to my shared notebook.  And, as Scott observed above, individual notes that are shared cannot be moved by the recipient and are instead stuck in the "Shared with me" folder, which is really not very useful.  We considered the option of duplicating shared notes but that loses the ability to share edits.  We may try copying a link to a shared note and pasting that link into a new note that can then be moved into any notebook and tagged as desired, but this seems like a very inefficient workaround for something that ought to be easier.

Can anyone offer any guidance on organizing shared notes and notebooks?  Is the only option really for the recipient to adopt my structure of stacks/notebooks/notes?

• Level 5

If you share a notebook, the notes inside inherit the share. Depending on the rights given to the recipient, he can handle the notes. Since the sharing lies on the notebook, when a note is moved, the sharing ends.

The best way is to setup several shared notebooks, and keep shared notes in them.

My wife and me have a shared notebook designated „Exchangebook“, and several others for certain content.

The rules are that who puts a note into Exchange expects it to be moved by the other person. What is in content should stay.

Among us we don’t share individual notes.

Also, my understanding is that Evernote recognizes the shortcomings of the present shared note function and is actively working to make improvements.  I don't know what their time frame might be.  But it might be worth waiting a bit if you can since the experience might change soon.

Vinnie

Good to know.   I have been really pleased with the pace of Evernote improvements of late;  it's great to know that the sharing issues are being considered.  In the meantime, the workarounds that I think will work: (1) for individual notes, the recipient of the shared note can copy a link to the shared note into a new note that can be renamed and  moved into any notebook as the recipient needs, and (2) for notebooks it appears that the recipient can move a shared notebook into their stack of choice without impacting the sharer's organization. 

• Level 5

There is a deeper, non technical issue between share control and recipient actions.

Up to now the shared note still belongs to the sharer, and he has control over the share. He stays being the owner.

Some aspects that are discussed in this thread would mean to take control away from the sharer. I‘m not sure this would be a good idea.

A word of caution about using links: A link uses the UUID of a note, the unique identifier. There are actions when the UUID is replaced by another. After this links are pointing nowhere and are worthless.

Thanks for the warning about the links.  I know that in my own use of links  I dusted to fairly regularly find that a link failed, for instance maybe when I moved the note being linked to into a different folder after creating the link.  The link seemed not to follow to the new location.  (These are just hunches because I never felt the need to systematically test it; I just fixed the issue & moved on.) But recently my links seem to be working pretty consistently.  I don’t think my use of Evernote has changed;  I have assumed that changes to the programming have resolved some of the issues with links.  
In the context of linking to a shared note it’s probably not a problem;  the link, even if broken, would be enough to direct the recipient of the shared note to the shared folder.