Deleting Folders and Holding/Re-filing Their Files

sfreeden

Idea

Why isn’t there a way to delete a folder but not its files? I would like to consolidate folders by deleting them and thereby emptying their contents into some general “holding” folder that I can then go through and reassign contents to other existing folders. As far as I can see, this is not possible in Evernote. 

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, sfreeden said:

Why isn’t there a way to delete a folder but not its files? ... As far as I can see, this is not possible in Evernote. 

fyi   Evernote provides a platform for Notes, with metadata for Notebooks and Tags
       Files can be stored as an attachment to a note

The screenshot is from my Mac931365886_ScreenShot2020-02-27at5_13_23AM.png.07da3ad9ea21f5690231748b557c72d0.png and shows multiple notes selected
with the option to reassign notebook/tags

Evernote/IOS does not support multi-note selection

>>thereby emptying their contents into some general holding folder that I can then go through and reassign contents to other existing folders

When a notebook is deleted, the notes are emptied to the Trash   
You can go through and restore/reassign to other notebooks

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, sfreeden said:

Why isn’t there a way to delete a folder but not its files? I would like to consolidate folders by deleting them and thereby emptying their contents into some general “holding” folder that I can then go through and reassign contents to other existing folders. As far as I can see, this is not possible in Evernote. 

You have to move notes to a new notebook before you can delete the old notebook.  Easiest done with the desktop app.

Right. I wrote Files and Folders, but I really was talking about Notes and Notebooks. Thank you for the suggestion that it is best done via the desktop app. I read somewhere that it is better to just add Tag(s) to every note, rather than creating the more complex infrastructure of Folders. Worth considering?

Thank you!

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, sfreeden said:

I read somewhere that it is better to just add Tag(s) to every note, rather than creating the more complex infrastructure of Folders. Worth considering?

On some platforms, tags can be organized in a hierarchy (unlimited levels)

Tags are Evernote's primary organization tool

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, sfreeden said:

Right. I wrote Files and Folders, but I really was talking about Notes and Notebooks. Thank you for the suggestion that it is best done via the desktop app. I read somewhere that it is better to just add Tag(s) to every note, rather than creating the more complex infrastructure of Folders. Worth considering?

Thank you!

You are welcome.  I use tags and few notebooks, works well for me.  I find it more flexible for my use case.  Some prefer folders.  

Best thing is to try for yourself, not that hard to revert.  In any case find what works best for you.