Desktop Support for Emoji in Note Titles / Tags

Is there any possibility of future support for full color emoji in note titles / tags on the Windows Desktop version of Evernote?

While it may seem minor, this would be huge for me from an organizational standpoint. For example, instead of tagging a note "Shopping Lists" / "Party Planning" / "Groceries", you can tag it 🛒🎈🍎 and see things at a glance much quicker. It also allows you to see more tags in their entirety before they get cut off due to length. For visually oriented people it can turn a wall of text into a beautifully organized, effective system.

You can color code notes with 🔴🟠🟡🟢🔵🟣🟤

Or use it to mark progress ✔️ or urgency 🔥.

In version 6.22.3.8816, emoji do work normally within the body of a note, but any emoji in a title or a label show up as the old unicode black & white outlines. This renders them fairly ineffective due to font size/lack of color. On the android version (and I would guess iOS), they do work as expected in titles and tags, but as someone who goes back and forth between desktop/mobile a lot, the lack of support on desktop renders them ineffective.

For a software focused on keeping people organized, this seems like a relatively small addition that would go a long way. 🤞🙏

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, mzemba said:

this seems like a relatively small addition

Hi.  A general revision of the editor has been going on now for a year or more,  and we're talking about changing the way that note titles are displayed,  which may not be a trivial recoding job. 

If they're not already working on something which would allow color in the display,  it might be another year before they look at that sort of thing again.  Even simple changes get scheduled in with ongoing work...

New features should be out in a few months (see the Evernote blog).

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, mzemba said:

but any emoji in a title or a label show up as the old unicode black & white outlines

So far emoji are working for me (Mac and iPad) but I know I'll be in trouble if/when I work on other platforms

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  A general revision of the editor has been going on now for a year or more,  and we're talking about changing the way that note titles are displayed,  which may not be a trivial recoding job. 

If they're not already working on something which would allow color in the display,  it might be another year before they look at that sort of thing again.  Even simple changes get scheduled in with ongoing work...

New features should be out in a few months (see the Evernote blog).

Sadly I know all too well that seemingly simple additions can be more complicated behind the scenes. Thanks for the insight into some of what they're planning to add.

@DTLow, good to know that Mac and iPad both have emoji support. Hopefully if Windows is the only odd one out, they'll eventually bring it in line with the rest of Evernote.

Archived