Webclipper fail on Chrome?

I use the web clipper in Chrome on a Chromebook at home, and then on Chrome on a windows pc at work. Articles clipped at home appear only as a title with a hyper link so I have to clip them a second time in the office.    Also, possibly a second separate issue, but articles clipped from UK news (Guardian) and US news (NYT and WaPo) are erratic - sometimes simplified article works, sometimes only the full article and sometimes only the full page.  Once we get past current political events I'll review whether to continue with Evernote or retain a legacy subscription, but this erratic functionality is a productivity killer.  Can anyone help?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Welcome to the wonderful world of web coding.  Most of the time Clipper actually does a pretty good job of getting as coherent a copy of content as possible from websites that might be using dozens of different coding systems.  Every so often it fails to deliver a usable copy,  which is when the different page formats / screen shots / display options come into play.  Newspapers can be particularly difficult if they have a paywall - Clipper has to download content from the server,  and can appear like a new user to the site,  even if you happen to be logged in and seeing the page you want.  Clipper will get rejected - which is when the screenshot option comes in handy.  At least in 99.9% of cases you'll get the URL of a page,  even if other things go wrong;  so it's a simple and quick process to go back and try again.

Among the many strategies I've tried for good clips are:

• viewing the mobile version of the page (even on a desktop)
  • checking for 'print page' options which often offer a more ad-free layout
  • 'sharing' the page to my Evernote email address
  • printing the page to PDF both locally and via a website
  • using a variety of screenshot apps

Evernote sadly can't be a one-stop chop for page clips - but it does a really good job most of the time.

• Level 5
On 11/14/2019 at 3:18 AM, GerryW said:

I use the web clipper in Chrome on a Chromebook at home, and then on Chrome on a windows pc at work. Articles clipped at home appear only as a title with a hyper link so I have to clip them a second time in the office.

I don't use Chrome or Chromebooks, so this may be unhelpful. In Android, when a Website is being "clipped" ("shared") to Evernote, there's an elephant logo with a circle spinning around it. If I tap on the logo, I got a small popup menu offering a couple of choices, including clipping the full page or saving the URL only. Choosing the latter produces just what you're seeing on your Chromebook: a note with a title and a link to the page. So wherever the setting is on that system, the URL only option may accidentally have gotten set.