How to link related notes between them locally?

pg111

Hi everybody,

As I often have a bundle of related notes about the same topic (that often come from Wikipedia) and some of them have links that refer to another captured web page, I was wondering if Evernote would allow me to easily and quickly update those links so they point to the other captured page.

For instance, I captured the flwg page: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_de_Fondation, which is about Asimov's famous trilogy. The page contains three links to each of the three books the trilogy consists of; each link refers to a single web page I also captured to Evernote.

When I click one of those links I start my browser to open the corresponding page from the web. I would rather like to open the corresponding page from my Evernote notebook.

Is there a way to do so from within Evernote quickly and easily?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

Patrick

• Level 5*

1544297733_ScreenShot2018-11-25at04_52_21.png.4f6ceb4728f8f45b231b4fe8ddb2e049.pngThe bundle of related notes can be linked by a master Table of Contents note, and note links>>

>>I was wondering if Evernote would allow me to easily and quickly update those links so they point to the other captured page.

wouldn't advise altering captured web pages.
The Evernote editor is not the proper tool to use.  The actual html code is like this <a href="https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_de_Fondation#mw-head" 

It is do-able.  As per @CalS,  select the link, right click > Link > Edit

419757365_ScreenShot2018-11-25at07_54_21.png.a41001a9166f00bc09c6f4a6ec032f0e.png     367560706_ScreenShot2018-11-25at07_59_53.png.dc90e3a07b189d83c5defdce061dd520.png

Great book choice.  Thanks for the flashback

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, pg111 said:

Is there a way to do so from within Evernote quickly and easily?

Don’t know about quickly and easily, but you can edit the hyperlink and replace the web link with the note link.  Basically copy the internal link of the target note, go to the other note and right click edit the hyperlink and paste the internal link.  FWIW.

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

The bundle of related notes can be linked by a master Table of Contents note, and note links>>1544297733_ScreenShot2018-11-25at04_52_21.png.4f6ceb4728f8f45b231b4fe8ddb2e049.png

>>I was wondering if Evernote would allow me to easily and quickly update those links so they point to the other captured page.

wouldn't advise altering captured web data.
The Evernote editor is not the proper tool to use.

Great book choice.  Thanks for the flashback

Thanks for the answer but does it mean that when I click a link in Page A I'll open the relevant note in my bundle instead of the current, actual web page on the Web?

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Don’t know about quickly and easily, but you can edit the hyperlink and replace the web link with the note link.  Basically copy the internal link of the target note, go to the other note and right click edit the hyperlink and paste the internal link.  FWIW.

Thanks. It's faster and easier than editing HTML code of the note.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, pg111 said:

Thanks for the answer but does it mean that when I click a link in Page A I'll open the relevant note in my bundle instead of the current, actual web page on the Web?

In my ToC example, I set up those links and have complete control of where they point283377978_ScreenShot2018-11-25at08_17_49.png.6c5a04e913fe805c5f1d234d178b0296.png
I retrieved the note link by right-clicking the destination note

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

In my ToC example, I set up those links and have complete control of where they point283377978_ScreenShot2018-11-25at08_17_49.png.6c5a04e913fe805c5f1d234d178b0296.png
I retrieved the note link by right-clicking the destination note

Thanks but pardon me as I have been unable to find how create a TOC note in EN from help and learning. More precisely when I follow the instructions and select more than one note how can I get the shortcut menus as in your screenshot?

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, pg111 said:

Thanks but pardon me as I have been unable to find how create a TOC note in EN from help and learning. More precisely when I follow the instructions and select more than one note how can I get the shortcut menus as in your screenshot?

In my example, I actually set up each of the links manually using copy/paste

There is a ToC feature; the screenshot is from Mac485687427_ScreenShot2018-11-25at08_54_49.png.3ee3002cf0d39af54e38150967d9e933.png
The box displays when I slelect multiple notes

Thanks for your help but unfortunately my Windows EN does not display such a dialog box.

Would you be so kind as to detail how you get it by detailing each step for it?

When I right-click on more than one notes I get the flwg dialog box:

image.png.23d869934c8007f58625e219fde75641.png

I cannot see any option to create a TOC Master Note.

Many thanks in advance.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, pg111 said:

When I right-click on more than one notes I get the flwg dialog box:
I cannot see any option to create a TOC Master Note.

Someone else will have to explain the ToC feature in Windows

In your screenshot I see "Copy Internal Links"
Select this, then paste into a new note.  You have your ToC

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Someone else will have to explain the ToC feature in Windows

In your screenshot I see "Copy Internal Links"
Select this, then paste into a new note.  You have your ToC

Thanks for your help. I think I will do as you suggest until someone using Windows can direct me to the right option. For now I will just create an empty note and paste my notes' internal links there.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, pg111 said:

I cannot see any option to create a TOC Master Note.

if you select multiple notes in the note panel using RIghtClick and Shift+RightClick or multiple Ctrl+RightClick, you should get the below in the note window.

ScreenClip.png.860a41d8faba23a0b995af4095ebff88.png

3 minutes ago, CalS said:

if you select multiple notes in the note panel using RIghtClick and Shift+RightClick or multiple Ctrl+RightClick, you should get the below in the note window.

ScreenClip.png.860a41d8faba23a0b995af4095ebff88.png

Thanks but I'm sorry. I have selected several notes and I still cannot get such a window. What I get is the flwg:

image.thumb.png.a488eaac5d4dbc270f6353666c8a8def.png

What am I missing? Many thanks in advance.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, pg111 said:

What am I missing? Many thanks in advance

You don't have the note panel open best I can tell from the screen shot.  Press Ctrl+F11 to open the note panel, this is a toggle hot key.  Or View - Note Panel.  The dialog box will appear there when you select multiple notes.  Sorry I didn't notice it with the first screen shot.  Oops.

53 minutes ago, CalS said:

You don't have the note panel open best I can tell from the screen shot.  Press Ctrl+F11 to open the note panel, this is a toggle hot key.  Or View - Note Panel.  The dialog box will appear there when you select multiple notes.  Sorry I didn't notice it with the first screen shot.  Oops.

Thanks a lot. Actually Note Panel was not open. I'm still newbie in Evernote and still have much to discover. Your help is very much appreciated.

Archived