6.16.2.8002 Windows 10 Crashes everyday multiple time

Just making sure Evernote (6.16.2.8002) desktop App on Windows 10 crashes each day I use it.  I use lots of keyboard shortcuts especially when saving the internal link for each App. In order to quikly navigate between notes, I'm always Alt-N-L to get link and Ctl-K to add that link to a specific word on another page.  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the crashing, but it does seem to crash often when I'm first setting up links between pages (lots of Alt-N-L and Ctl-K usage).

I do send the crash reports each time it happens, Evernote server somewhere must have dozens of these from me alone. ;-)

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm also using that Evernote version on W10 64bit and don't have any problems.  It is a prerelease,  so you might want to drop back a level for a quieter life,  but it's probably worth uninstalling and reinstalling your current version first just to make sure there's no update gremlins hanging around. 

As a Premium subscriber you're also entitled to email support,  so if a reinstall doesn't fix this,  your report to Support may help improve the version.  Crash reports don't count as support requests - they're just adding to the database of 1,000 things that can go wrong with a prerelease... that might get fixed before the next general release.

- And if you haven't yet created a local backup of your current database,  now might be a good idea to start

How to uninstall and reinstall Evernote

How to back up (export) and restore (import) notes and notebooks

-Support links on both those pages.

I uninstalled that prerelease and reinstalled 6.15.4.7934.  Crashing behavior is identical.  I'm a premium member, and thus email support time I guess (Idon't expect much, was hoping others were having similar issue).  I have noticed it happens most when I'm using shortcut key combo: Alt-n-l  (to copy a Notes Internal Link)

That copies the note's link so I can paste it as a link on another page (Ctl-K).  Basically, it's much easier to navigate between my notes if I use links to get between them.  If you use Evernote daily to track projects, you end up with 100's even 1000's of notes.  So nothing beats those quick note shortcuts (highlight a word and Ctl-K, then paste link).  Here's a typical starting point ) as an example).

Snap 2018-10-29 at 16.28.14.png

• Level 5*

At a guess, most people who might try to help you understand what note links are and use them. I use them myself a fair amount, though as much as you seem to. Haven't seen mass reports about frequent crashes of recent releases, and haven't experienced this -- I think I had one occasion where Evernote just disappeared on me in the last several month (I'm on the beta track, so I see them all), so it's hard to tell what's going on with your installation. Is this happening on a single machine, or on multiple? Laptop or desktop? Standard procedure for situations like this is to start by doing a complete uninstall of Evernote (rather than installing over an existing version), and then installing fresh, as @gazumpedsuggests.

Thank you, I did uninstall first.  Then downloaded and installed the fully released version.  In fact, it would never occur to me to install "over" another app.  That is usually not recommended for most Apps.  But the one example you gave is exactly what happens to me.  Everyday (usually when I'm doing the Alt-n-l) the App just disappears.  Then icon for Evernote is still in my Taskbar Tray, so I double-click and I can get back in.  But it usually also pops-up a "crash" windows where Evernote offers to send in a crash report where you can enter your email (optional)) before sending the report (typical crash report pop-up you get when Evernote crashes).

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, ddawsonb said:

In fact, it would never occur to me to install "over" another app.  That is usually not recommended for most Apps.

Funny, I do this a lot. I do it with Evernote. I do it with the non-trivial application that my company develops, and never think about it. I have rarely had problems. If I've ever uninstalled Evernote over the past 10 years, it's a very small number of times. Actually forcing an uninstall is an action of last resort; installers do this work for you, in general. But some folks swear by this and 3rd party uninstallers like Revo.

Anyways, my bringing that up is just checking. My next step, if it were me (other than getting in touch with Evernote support, which I'd also suggest), would be making sure that you're completely synced, logging out of Evernote, moving your Evernote data directory elsewhere to a safe location, and then running an installation, and then letting Evernote download my notes into a fresh new database.

Archived