Shared Notebooks

Gear64

• Gear64 changed the title to Shared Notebooks
1 hour ago, jefito said:

What is the "orphaned tag issue"?

It runs through this year.  Shared notebooks is something I'm really going to need in the near future if expanding the scope of how I use Evernote, but this thread seems to be one of several indicating it may be a flawed feature.  I don't want to waste a bunch of time restructuring things if this is more than just a few people with bad luck.

@jefito I see in another thread (Where are You Evernote?) it looks like you have been successful with the strategy I was hoping to implement. Separate work and personal, but share between the accounts.  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Gear64 said:

@jefito I see in another thread (Where are You Evernote?) it looks like you have been successful with the strategy I was hoping to implement. Separate work and personal, but share between the accounts.  

Yes, it works pretty well for me. I haven't experience the 'orphaned tag' thing, as far as I know, so I can't asses how dire a problem it is. But yes, sharing notebooks between a couple of accounts that I control is pretty convenient. I'm pretty thorough at applying tags, but not too fussy about maintaining a fancy tag tree. I do wind up having 'duplicate' tags that exist in both accounts, but practically speaking it hasn't seemed to make much difference.

29 minutes ago, jefito said:

Yes, it works pretty well for me. I haven't experience the 'orphaned tag' thing, as far as I know, so I can't asses how dire a problem it is. But yes, sharing notebooks between a couple of accounts that I control is pretty convenient. I'm pretty thorough at applying tags, but not too fussy about maintaining a fancy tag tree. I do wind up having 'duplicate' tags that exist in both accounts, but practically speaking it hasn't seemed to make much difference.

Thanks for the input.  Part of the strategy would be giving my wife access to the personal side, but likely I'd still be doing all the collecting/tagging.  She may occasionally want/need to access certain info though.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Gear64 said:

Thanks for the input.  Part of the strategy would be giving my wife access to the personal side, but likely I'd still be doing all the collecting/tagging.  She may occasionally want/need to access certain info though.

You're welcome. Do I understand that she has her own account, so you'd be staring notebooks with her, and managing the shared content?  Seems as though that should work. There's a restriction that she can't add new tags to notes in notebooks shared to her, so if she wants to do tagging, she'll need to use the tags that are used in that notebook, or file a "request to add tag" with the content manager (you).

21 minutes ago, jefito said:

You're welcome. Do I understand that she has her own account, so you'd be staring notebooks with her, and managing the shared content?  Seems as though that should work. There's a restriction that she can't add new tags to notes in notebooks shared to her, so if she wants to do tagging, she'll need to use the tags that are used in that notebook, or file a "request to add tag" with the content manager (you).

She doesn't have much interest in Evernote; this is my thing, both my accounts hypothetically. Still only one today.  It's just in the case of my untimely demise she might need access to something; and prudent its isolated from my work information.  I'm not too concerned about the work stuff being orphaned someday.  It's mostly pdfs filed my way for efficient access, and work related personal notes. Tips, tricks and such.  All critical info is in company maintained logs and systems.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Gear64 said:

in the case of my untimely demise she might need access to something

I've set it up so after I depart my dependents receive an email with a public link to an Evernote note.

That note identifies the password to my Evernote account
It also contains public links to important notes.

>>She doesn't have much interest in Evernote

My thinking is, even without using Evernote, the web links should work well.

Archived