I have never had a problem with Evernote until today.

I have a note that will not open on my android phone. When I try to open it, I get a message that says,  "Note Edit Error - Oops! There is a system error. We'll close Evernote now to resolve the problem. If the issue persists, try restarting your device."

I rebooted my phone. I re-synced. I uninstalled Evernote, re-installed, logged in and then re-synced. I rebooted my phone again.  Nothing worked.

I can open and edit the note on my desktop.

I can log into my web account, load and edit the note there also.

Any thoughts?

• Level 5*

Hi.  seems like you did all the right things so far.  Is this a large or graphics-heavy note?  Was the content produced in an app that is not on your phone?  Can you zip the content into an attached file and then expand again on the phone?

This is a simple text file with critical bits of info that I have built up over a long period of time. Fortunately, not long ago I decided the info was so important to me that I needed to copy / paste it into a secure Word file,  creating an occasional "snapshot" just in case for some reason it became unavailable to me...go figure.

Strange thing about this is that even though Evernote gave me the error, the error message was transparent and I could see that the file had in fact opened under it, I just couldn't scroll through the file. Once the error message popped up I was forced to acknowledge the error message on top which would then immediately cause Evernote to close and the open file to dissappear.

I finally decided to create a new note, copy the info from my "backup" into the new note, then delete the old note. The old note is now gone, I renamed the new note to match the old one, and the new note works correctly. 

Lesson to be learned. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER trust completely any one form of technology with your critical data. 

• Level 5

@wja2cc@gmail.com, there have been a few other reports of similar errors lately (linked below). Your approach is certainly the best one--sometimes something just gets corrupted in a note, especially one with material copied from the Web, or one that has been re-edited over a long period of time. It does seem that recent versions of Evernote for Android have been more sensitive to such problems, though.

Archived