Menu Option for disabling "Match notes by prefix in the Note List"

Don Dz

Idea

I believe I have seen discussions before concerning the idea of string searches matching anywhere within a word and not just the beginning, but I don´t recall seeing it discussed exactly in this fashion, I think:

Since we already have the following options to select and unselect, in searching for notebooks and tags:

-"Match notebooks by prefix in the Notebook Picker"

-"Match tags by prefix in the Tag Picker"

It would seem not much of a stretch to simply add an option for:

-"Match notes by prefix in the Note List"

(so we can unselect it  in searches of course, with obligatory disclaimers about slower speed, etc), then we should be all set.  Currently this setting is permanent of course.

4 replies to this idea

41 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  If you sort your note list alphabetically,  doesn't that automatically 'match notes by prefix' anyway?

I was not referring to sorting, but searching for words in notes, like with notebooks and tags.  If you disable match by prefix for notebooks and tags, searching those items will match any part of the word, if you enable it it matches the beginning of the word. 

Currently searching for notes only matches search by prefix, that is, notes are indexed, as a permanent setting.  If there was a setting like I mentioned that could be disabled, then note searches would match any part of the word, albeit more slowly.

I edited the topic a little to make this a little more clear, sorry for the confusion.

• Level 5*

I got that you were talking about searches,  but 'prefix' just means the start of a word or phrase which would be how notes get sorted by title. 

If you're more wanting the string matching feature as below -

ScreenClip.png.313f24d247d85a1ffd565611256d4674.png

I'm not sure how it would scale up - I have nearly 44,000 notes,  mostly with quite long titles including dates and sources (like 'email' or 'user guide') Typing almost anything would get me a l-o-o-o-n-g list of possible matches that I would probably never use...

The developers will see your post however - maybe if others think it's a good idea they'll adopt it in future versions of the app.

11 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm not sure how it would scale up - I have nearly 44,000 notes,  mostly with quite long titles including dates and sources (like 'email' or 'user guide') Typing almost anything would get me a l-o-o-o-n-g list of possible matches that I would probably never use...

Yeah, that very issue has been debated back and forth before, I just never saw it mentioned that what is being asked is already implemented for tags and notebooks, which surprised me when I noticed. 

Disabling the prefix search should never be a default setting, of course, as it would be much slower, but sometimes it would be useful.  

Archived