Jump to content
Vit Svoboda

Natural Sciences and Evernote

Recommended Posts

Dear All,

I would like to know whether there is some possibilities to upgrade Evernote such that it will contain two things I miss the most:

1) equation editor

2) drawing tools at similar level as MS PowerPoint

These two things are in principle essential if you are PhD student in Natural Sciences and you want to use Evernote as a replacement to paper labbooks. I know that one can make sketch somewhere else (for example in already mentioned MS PowerPoint) and then insert it (similar can be done with equations) but the problem is that these are then not editable directly in Evernote, which is the biggest drawback. Can someone, please, suggest something? Is there any development in this direction? Are there any plugins which provide these features?

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Best regards,

Vit

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/1/2018 at 2:20 AM, Vit Svoboda said:

I would like to know whether there is some possibilities to upgrade Evernote such that it will contain two things I miss the most:

1) equation editor

2) drawing tools at similar level as MS PowerPoint

These features are not supported in the Evernote editor.

A note can contain files of any format; so use any editor that supports these features.
For example, use your PowerPoint editor and store the file as a note attachment.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/1/2018 at 5:20 AM, Vit Svoboda said:

the problem is that these are then not editable directly in Evernote, which is the biggest drawback

Well, yes and no.  You are correct in that Evernote does not directly support those features, but as others mentioned you can attach a file, or a link to that file to a note.  Double clicking on the attached file will open the file in its native format for editing and will be saved back to the copy stored in Evernote when you save and exit. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/1/2018 at 5:20 AM, Vit Svoboda said:

Dear All,

I would like to know whether there is some possibilities to upgrade Evernote such that it will contain two things I miss the most:

1) equation editor

2) drawing tools at similar level as MS PowerPoint

These two things are in principle essential if you are PhD student in Natural Sciences and you want to use Evernote as a replacement to paper labbooks. I know that one can make sketch somewhere else (for example in already mentioned MS PowerPoint) and then insert it (similar can be done with equations) but the problem is that these are then not editable directly in Evernote, which is the biggest drawback. Can someone, please, suggest something? Is there any development in this direction? Are there any plugins which provide these features?

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Best regards,

Vit

 

To be honest, I think MS OneNote will do these two things better than anything in the market as far as I know. Evernote has great features compared to OneNote and to me it is a better solution but again, to your specific problem, it might be a better solution.

I wouldn't steer anybody from Evernote but I think in your case, you might find OneNote to be a very good fit to your situation. I dealt with it years ago and it did have the equation editor and its drawing tools are pretty powerful and you can add it to any part of the note. 

Things have changed since then but it is worth for you to try it out in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. I think I will stick to the way you suggested. I will attached the source file. Regarding the OneNote, I tried that one but I do not like the fact that it is not behaving like text editor but rather like a whiteboard where you can write everywhere you want. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...