Keeps crashing and won't launch without restarting my computer

• Level 5*
On 6/10/2018 at 8:08 AM, SusanW said:

Twice within a half hour Evernote on Windows 10 has crashed and won't relaunch unless I restart my computer.

I checked for updates and it said I was running the current version.

You can probably get it to restart by killing evernote.exe and associated Evernote* apps in the details view in Task Manager.

That doesn't fix your main problem, but should let you restart without rebooting.

As to your original problem, what antivirus or antispyware/malware apps are you running? Have you contacted support with activity and crash logs? I don't think it is the evernote app itself that is unstable and crashing - at least not seeing any of that in the forums - but it is probably some sort of conflict.

Thanks for the response. Killing it in Task Manager let me restart the app. It's been so long since I've had an app issue that I didn't even think about Task Manager.

I'm running Symantec. 

I opened a support ticket yesterday.

The issue seemed to resolve itself, perhaps due to some updates I ran on my computer. Tech support suggested uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote. I did that and have not had a recurrence - crossing my fingers.

• 1 month later...

Same issue here, even after unstalling/reinstalling several times. Everything than works OK for a while (which varies between a couple of days and a few months), and suddenly *bang*, gone again. Killing all associated processes in the Task Manager indeed 'solves' the problem, Evernote is at least 're-startable'. But these crashes do have a tendency occurring at the most unconvenient moments (as usual with problems ;-)), so please fix this right.

• 2 weeks later...

Have the same problem! Evernote crashes after few minutes after launch. It's so annoying to kill and restart the process dosen times an hour! Nothing helps. Neither reinstalling, nor update. Is there any suggestions how the issue can be solved?

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, Eugeny Ten said:

Have the same problem! Evernote crashes after few minutes after launch. It's so annoying to kill and restart the process dosen times an hour! Nothing helps. Neither reinstalling, nor update. Is there any suggestions how the issue can be solved?

I can't help with the crashing, but you can restart it without restarting your computer. Open Task Manager and look at the detail process tab. Manually kill all EVERNOTE* processes. What is happening is the UI is crashing but evernote.exe is hanging around in memory and it won't launch because it already is launched.

As for the crashing, contact support. Probably some conflict with a 3rd party antivirus/malware/spyware app. 

• Ex Employees

Thanks for the reports. We've fixed the top trending crashes in our 6.15 beta 1 build. You can get it from here: 

Please let us know if you're still seeing crashing after updating to 6.15.

If you prefer the GA, quitting the app from the task manager after the crash is the quickest way to get Evernote back up and running. Thanks again for these reports!

2 hours ago, Austin G said:

Thanks for the reports. We've fixed the top trending crashes in our 6.15 beta 1 build. You can get it from here: 

Please let us know if you're still seeing crashing after updating to 6.15.

If you prefer the GA, quitting the app from the task manager after the crash is the quickest way to get Evernote back up and running. Thanks again for these reports!

Thank you so much! Upgrading to Beta resolved my problem!

Archived