Evernote needs to show why sync is failing

I tried to sync today and Evernote showed an exclamation mark on the sync option. Hovering over it, right clicking on it didn't tell me what the issue is. I thought it was having problems syncing my notes due to an issue with the notes. Then I found out I didn't have an Internet connection and that was the reason.

Evernote needs to tell me *clearly* was the issue is. If the connection is down, then tell me it's unable to connect to the server. Don't just show an exclamation mark and run away! Pretty weak UI. Show all errors and warnings clearly.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, abdu said:

Evernote needs to tell me *clearly* was the issue is.

Possiblly  the Activity Log provides more details.  Its the first place I look when things go south.

The entry in the activity log was a bit technical but now that I know the connection was down, the log entry has more meaning. They should put a tooltip on the sync button to check the activity log. I didn't know it existed. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, abdu said:

The entry in the activity log was a bit technical but now that I know the connection was down, the log entry has more meaning. They should put a tooltip on the sync button to check the activity log. I didn't know it existed. 

The story in the Windows client is to Ctrl+click on the Sync toolbar button when it has the '!' marker, and it will select the notes that haven't been synced. That's potentially useful, but a popup to check the Activity log would probably be useful, at least to the more technically capable users out there. Sync errors are potentially bad news with Evernote users due to potential loss of data, so procedures to deal with it should be available and easy to follow.

Archived