Duplicate URL / Article Clip Notification

espionage

Idea

Hi,

Often times I clip articles that I didn't realize I had already clipped. It would be handy to:

1.) Be notified that this URL has already been clipped

2.) Show us a count of how many duplicates of those URLs we have in my Evernote

3.) Allow us to delete them IF there are no additional texts/markups that we added ourselves (e.g. if it's just an unaltered article clip)

4.) Show or allow us to see  or compare what if any differences there are between the articles

At a macro level, I'd like to be able to run this across all of my notes and help clean out unmodified duplicates.

Thanks and please let me know if you have any questions.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, espionage said:

1.) Be notified that this URL has already been clipped

2.) Show us a count of how many duplicates of those URLs we have in my Evernote

At a macro level, I'd like to be able to run this across all of my notes and help clean out unmodified duplicates.

An interesting idea.  Since we're using Macs, we could use a script to provide this information

• Level 5*

Hi.  It's kind've already catered for if you use the Clipper and have the option ticked to show the clip dialogue which (I think) means you also see existing notes that may be related to your clip.  That's tipped me off a few times to a duplicate clip,  but obviously takes a few seconds while Evernote processes the clip,  and I'd then have to open those notes and compare them with the current clip to see if the page has changed since I last visited it,  or whether I added any comments...  and if you think that just takes too long - imagine how long it would take for Evernote to search your database before you get a clip and alert you to similar/ related notes.  Every. Time. You. Clip.

I prefer the current method - and I still ignore it anyway,  because in the grand scheme of things I only delete notes if I see two copies in a search.  It's just routine curation of any large database to always be tweaking titles / tags / content to make it run efficiently;  and unless/ until AI is a lot smarter than I am*,  I don't see automation being possible for that sort of activity.

* This is not a high bar,  but still...

Archived