Turn Off Auto Bullets from "-"

Hello- I've noticed everynote seems to have a nasty habit of turning all text that starts with "-" into an indented bullet point. This feels very much like MS Word's drive to make all formatting decisions for the user. This isn't horrible on a desktop (its not great either), but is really terrible on a mobile device since the indented bullets take up about 1/2 the screen.

Is there a way to turn this off on desktop or mobile devices? Its a huge annoyance.

Wow! Nothing even remotely close to that level of control in the Mac client. Bummer, this is really irritating. I'll post the question in the Mac forum. Maybe there's a section in the client I don't know about.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Again- I was able to turn off the auto bullet in the Mac client (far less options than the windows version), but now its also doing this in iOS version.

Is there a way to turn off auto formatting/bulleting in the iOS version? I couldn't find it in settings.

Just sort of a reality check question: Is it just me, or with the limited screen size of a mobile device, why does evernote think it would be a good idea to indent bullets automatically and loose roughly 10% of an already limited screen? I use an iPhone SE- Maybe all the engineers are on phablets :)

Thanks!

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, wphall said:

Is there a way to turn off auto formatting/bulleting in the iOS version? I couldn't find it in settings.

Not that I've been able to find.  There is a bullet on the #+= keyboard.  Issue is, depending upon your default font size it may not look the same as the desktop generated bullet.  Doesn't eat any extra space though.  FWIW.

2C7C227B-95D0-4DBC-9321-076BF7580201.jpg.f5d80133abf8b952a0026234f05a7a5f.jpg

Thanks for the tip! Sort of an annoying "feature". Wonder why they thought this would be good (and of all the things that need fixing, they focused on this?). Oh well. I tried and I really appreciate your help and suggestion.

Thx!

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, wphall said:

Thanks for the tip! Sort of an annoying "feature". Wonder why they thought this would be good (and of all the things that need fixing, they focused on this?). Oh well. I tried and I really appreciate your help and suggestion.

Thx!

You are welcome.  Not sure that EN focused on anything, I think that bullet is just a part of the standard IOS keyboard.  You could create a feature request for a non first level indent bullets option, though I doubt much would happen based upon the other things they are focusing on.

• 3 weeks later...

Did this just change? I don't remember Evernote ever auto-formatting minus (-) keys to bullet points before on iOS but now it's doing it and it's making me want to drown a small puppy in the ocean. Is there some way to disable this new "feature" in iOS? I understand trying to provide shortcuts for bulleted list-making, but did they really force it on everyone without a way to disable it for those of us who hate it? 

• 1 month later...

I agree. Searching for a fix for this every two months is infuriating. I don’t think Evernote needs to make it a “focus.” It simply added a feature that some of us would like to be able to turn off. I’m not a programmer, but I can’t see that needing a whole team. 

For those offering quick fixes, they help but the fixes are still inadequate. I type on the same notes between computer, email, and iPhone. On email and computer the dash works and on iPhone it doesn’t. This means my notes look like the following:

- point 1

- point 2

• point 3

- point 4

• point 5 

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-23 at 1:23 PM, popechild said:

I don't remember Evernote ever auto-formatting minus (-) keys

10 hours ago, Phil Brown said:

I agree. Searching for a fix for this every two months is infuriating. I don’t think Evernote needs to make it a “focus.” It simply added a feature that some of us would like to be able to turn off. 

I disabled this feature in Settings > Notes > Advanced EditingADD10738-33F9-43DF-81A3-C0618338F775.thumb.jpeg.a7207fb30765e85c2a5d49b59d297191.jpeg

Archived