CMD + J option for Windows

maartenvosselman

Idea

Hi,

Could be that this feature has been requested before. I am a Mac user and my digital life is in Evernote. The best thing for me is finding all my digital stuff in seconds due to the cmd+j option. I almost never use the search field anymore, because I can find everything via this shortcut.

All my colleagues have Windows Machines and I see them struggling with finding stuff in Evernote. This is their biggest complain. Would it be possible to develop a similar option as CMD+J for Windows? And no... CTR+Q is not coming close... I want to find notebooks, notes, tags, cmd+J even deals with misspellings... 

I am so curious if our company is the only one begging for this feature. 

Love the new table options by the way :-)

Thank you.

Best,

Maarten

6 replies to this idea

Hi Jeff,

See screenshot. You can quickly navigate to your notes, notebooks, tags... 

This works so much faster than using the search field/shortcuts each time. Of course it is less granular and you cannot search within note text (only titles), but this really helps switching and navigating.

Hopefully it makes more sense now. 

So the biggest benefit of this option is quickly navigating to and switching between notes/notebooks/tags. The more granular search is of course still needed when you have to dig in your notes (especially if they are older ones or have been made by others (you often not sure/remember what the titile/tagname is)). CMD+J won't solve this. 

The problem my colleagues have is finding stuff in Evernote... more and more notes are piling up in our database and this is quite difficult. I know all the (advanced) search options and shared these with them, but it remains difficult. Especially because I create most notebooks & notes :-) When they start using Evernote more it of course gets easier. As you can tell I am the biggest Evernote user and promoter ;-) Changing how people work and teach new software is difficult haha any tips are welcome of course

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 13.18.59.png

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, maartenvosselman said:

The best thing for me is finding all my digital stuff in seconds due to the cmd+j option.

This was the “Quick Jump” feature.  “shows you the most recent notes and notebooks you’ve accessed. The real power of it comes when you type part of the name of the note or notebook want to open. It’s possible that this will be more useful for people who have large numbers of notebooks”

It’s not a feature I use.  I don’t have many notebooks and I found the list to be too random.

• Level 5*

In Evernote, tags can be used for many things, but in general, they should be used to describe a note, just as you would in your native language. One of the problems of any shared knowledge-based endeavor is vocabulary. If you have a well-defined shared vocabulary to describe your issues and business concerns, then I'd suggest using that as a basis for your tagging system. 

With respect to CMD+J, I just noticed that Ctrl+Q in the Windows Evernote client will show tags, notebooks, saved searches, recent searches and other suggestions, based on a substring search of what you type (that is, what you'ved typed is searched for in any location in a tag or notebook name, not just as the prefix). It seems that that is indeed pretty close to CMD+J. Notes are not included, though; would you expect note titles matches to be included, or matches on note content?

Thanks Jeff. I agree, shared vocabulary and good use of tags would help. There is some work there. What you still notice is that people generally don't like the extra time that takes to add tags, they do not have strict 'template' note title names... remains difficult. 

Note titles would be sufficient I think. If you would add also results based on note contents, than it might be useful when it shows the top 5-10 most relevant notes based on the corresponding content (from search and note content). What I also love is that a typo won't matter in CMD+J. Does Windows also have a relevance column by the way as you have on the mac after search (so you can sort your search on relevance)? 

Archived