Win 10: Clipper hotkey not capturing screen; clipping any other way works

I've been using the clipper feature for a very long time and I usually access it by using the WIN+SHIFT+S hotkey.

Lately, I've noticed that while the clipper comes up, my highlight selection border is red and no clips are made.  If I use any other method to clip (chrome extension or right clicking on the Evernote ICON + clip screenshot, it works.

Any suggestions?

• Level 5*

You should right click on the Evernote icon in the notification to see whether the shortcut has changed, or use Tools / Options / Shortcuts in the Evernote client. Clipping using Win+Shift+S is working fine for me on me on both of my Win 10 machines.

11 hours ago, jefito said:

You should right click on the Evernote icon in the notification to see whether the shortcut has changed, or use Tools / Options / Shortcuts in the Evernote client. Clipping using Win+Shift+S is working fine for me on me on both of my Win 10 machines.

The shortcut hasn't changed because it goes through the motions of allowing me to select part of the screen - the only difference is that there's a red outline when selecting, and it doesn't save a new note :(

• Level 5*

But that was a just-checking question because Evernote needed to change its old default (Win+PrtScr) since Windows (10, I think) took it over. Is it possible that some other program has taken over Win+Shift+S? The clipper is working fine for me, with no red outline. You might try changing the shortcut to something else, just to see if that's the case.

5 hours ago, jefito said:

But that was a just-checking question because Evernote needed to change its old default (Win+PrtScr) since Windows (10, I think) took it over. Is it possible that some other program has taken over Win+Shift+S? The clipper is working fine for me, with no red outline. You might try changing the shortcut to something else, just to see if that's the case.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!! It seems the Windows 10 Creators update set WIN+Shift+S as a clip screenshot for OneNote (which I don't use). They look so similar that I mistook it as the Evernote clipper!

I remapped Evernote's shortcut and it works now! 

Thanks a lot :)

2 minutes ago, jefito said:

Glad to help. I haven't received the Creator's Update yet, but I thought it might be something like that. 

You'd think they'd have a way to check to make sure it's not overriding existing hotkeys! But I'm really glad that it's working now.

5 hours ago, EP2008 said:

You'd think they'd have a way to check to make sure it's not overriding existing hotkeys!

The way that works is he-who-registers-first-wins. So all we know when registering is it failed (you can actually see the in the tray icon, the menu for the associated hot key will be disabled). We don't know who won (not sure if there's a way to query the system). (BTW, it's not OneNote on Win10 - it's the system snipping tool)

Since this is now a system hotkey, looks like we need to go pick yet another different combo for that. (KNOCK IT OFF MS!)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dconnet said:

Since this is now a system hotkey, looks like we need to go pick yet another different combo for that. (KNOCK IT OFF MS!)

Why it's almost as if they want to cause you folks some hassle so that their OneNote application can maybe get get a little boost. Nah, that'd never happen... :) 

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, jozefbaar said:

the answer is 

in WIN10 shortcut cannot be WIN + SHIFT + S

just set any different than this and it will work

Not strictly true. I'm using Win+Shift+S to run the Evernote screen clipper on my Win 10 work machine. Works fine.

What you can say is that if you're not getting the Evernote clipping tool with Win+Shift+S, then you likely have a conflict, and you should go to Evernote options and change it to something else.

3 hours ago, jefito said:

Not strictly true. I'm using Win+Shift+S to run the Evernote screen clipper on my Win 10 work machine. Works fine.

Depends what version of Win10 you're on! Microsoft stole that shortcut for their screen clipper. He-who-registers-first-wins.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, dconnet said:

Depends what version of Win10 you're on! Microsoft stole that shortcut for their screen clipper. He-who-registers-first-wins.

Could be we're not updating our versions here at work (not under my control; I am a lowly developer, not mighty IT). I don't take much notice because it works fine for me, but if it ever stops working (and I'll know, because screen clipping i pretty useful for me), I'll  sure know what to do!!

Archived