Request to Encrypt a Note

JohnT_user

Idea

I'd like to be able to encrypt an entire note, as well as maintain the current capability to encrypt specific text within a note.  In the way I'd like to use Evernote, I want to create a secure note into which I'll add related content.  I'd like that entire note to be encrypted.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, JohnT_user said:

I'd like to be able to encrypt an entire note, as well as maintain the current capability to encrypt specific text within a note.  In the way I'd like to use Evernote, I want to create a secure note into which I'll add related content.

There are existing requests but so far Evernote has not indicate an interest in expanding its encryption feature.

As an alternative, you could look into third party solutions, for example Saferoom

Not sure.  I guess...as a workaround...it could be possible to encrypt all of the text on a single note.  That's not as elegant as the ability to simply encrypt a note (at the note level, instead of the content/text level).  Others have suggested using the "Saferoom" product, but i'm not really interested right now in bringing in more integrated products with Evernote.

• Level 5*
On 2017-03-28 at 1:59 PM, Greg Gagnon said:

How do we see about encouraging that interest? Lack of encryption is sufficient to drive me to a different product. I am otherwise happy with this one.

You could add your vote to this request; voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.

I'm sure Evernote is aware of the interest, but so far have not expressed an interest in extending encryption beyond the text encryption feature.

Personally, I make sure my sensitive data is encrypted.  My solution is encrypted attachments; pfds, office/iWork's etc

I would not request this feature, however I have found out that Encrypt Selected Text has a length limit. It would be also more user-friendly to allow to encrypt whole note without having to select entire content of the note first.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Roman Luks said:

I would not request this feature, however I have found out that Encrypt Selected Text has a length limit. It would be also more user-friendly to allow to encrypt whole note without having to select entire content of the note first.

I wasn't aware of the length limit.  I also find the feature being text only is limiting.  
My notes have non-text content, in addition to attachments; images, pdfs, office/iwork documents, ...

Another of my concerns is being locked into Evernote.  
Currently my backups are independent of Evernote, and at any moment I can export my data and move on.

My solution is to encrypt my data independent of Evernote.  
Many of the attachments (pdf, office/iwork) support native encryption.

Archived