Can Cronofy sync only to the Reminders calendar of Google Calendar?

tavor

• Level 5*

Google Calendar (GC) has multiple sub-calendars (layers is another way to think about it), one of which is Reminders. 

When using Cronofy to sync Evernote with GC (which puts all EN notes with a reminder date into GC), the only option I see is to sync to the main calendar. Since I use EN for task management, I have lots of EN notes with reminder dates, but most of these aren't calendar events and I'd like to keep that clutter off the main calendar, which I'd like to use only for events.

Is there a way to get EN reminders into the Reminders calendar of GC instead of the main calendar?

@adambird

• Level 5*

I tried setting this up in IFTTT, but no luck. While IFTTT can use Evernote tags as the trigger, it cannot pick up the remindertime field, so it adds calendar events dated the date the note is created. Fail.

Then I tried Zapier, which can pick up Evernote's remindertime field, but it does not support EN tags as triggers, so the workaround is to have the Zap trigger every time a note is added to a particular notebook. So if you move any events with a remindertime into a particular notebook, they'll all show up in Google Calendar. Not perfect, but the closest I'm finding to my ideal - i.e., tag notes, e.g., 'cal' and only those notes sync to GC using the note's remindertime date/time.

Edit: list of Zapier supported EN triggers:

• New Note - Triggers when a new note is created in a notebook.
  • New Notebook - Triggers when a new notebook is added to Evernote.
  • New Reminder - Triggers when a new reminder with a date is added to a notebook.

Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult for Zapier to add tags as a trigger. 

• Level 5*

Event Noted seems like an ideal solution - tag a note and it ends up on your calendar. That way you get just the notes you want on calendar without having all the notes with reminder dates (for those who use EN as their task manager, there may be lots of items with reminder dates that we don't necessarily want showing up and cluttering the calendar). But it seems Event Noted may no longer be supported - one 4yr old video on the product. 

I suspect the product didn't have much of a future given how easy it would be for IFTTT or Zapier to provide this feature.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, tavor said:

Event Noted seems like an ideal solution - tag a note and it ends up on your calendar. But it seems Event Noted may no longer be supported - one 4yr old video on the product. 

I suspect the product didn't have much of a future given how easy it would be for IFTTT or Zapier to provide this feature.

I tried Event Noted, but didn't like having to specify the date/time in the title.  My preference is to specify the date/time using the reminder feature

Currently, I'm using Cronofy to sync reminders to my calendar.  As an alternative, I'm also considering scripting on my Mac to add features such as recurring reminders

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I tried Event Noted, but didn't like having to specify the date/time in the title.  My preference is to specify the date/time using the reminder feature

Currently, I'm using Cronofy to sync reminders to my calendar.  As an alternative, I'm also considering scripting on my Mac to add features such as recurring reminders

So only notes with deadlines get reminder dates in your task management system?

I have some notes with reminder dates that aren't drop-dead deadlines and wouldn't want those cluttering up my calendar view.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, tavor said:

So only notes with deadlines get reminder dates in your task management system?

I have some notes with reminder dates that aren't drop-dead deadlines and wouldn't want those cluttering up my calendar view.

I'm actually not concerned about "drop-dead" deadlines.  I use the reminder feature for anything date related

As to "cluttering up my calendar view", I like the idea of using a tag to restrict this.
That's one of my issues that Cronofy doesn't support this

• Level 5*
Just now, DTLow said:

I actually wasn't worried about "drop-dead" deadlines.  I use the reminder feature for anything date related

As to "cluttering up my calendar view", I like the idea of using a tag to restrict this

If I'm understanding your setup correctly, using Cronofy, you have lots of items that aren't "events" or "drop-dead deadlines" in your calendar?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, tavor said:

If I'm understanding your setup correctly, using Cronofy, you have lots of items that aren't "events" or "drop-dead deadlines" in your calendar?

Confirmed

As to "cluttering up my calendar view", I like the idea of using a tag to restrict this.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Confirmed

I emailed Zapier regarding adding tags to their list of supported Evernote triggers. If they can do this, that would be pretty ideal. Tag only those items you want on your calendar and it will pick up the date from the remindertime field.

• Level 5*

Received an email back from Zapier:

"We develop features based on votes, and that request is around the middle right now. I've added your vote in so you'll be notified when it's available. No ETA yet though."

So for those who would be interested in using Evernote tags as a trigger, whether it's to add items to a calendar, or pretty much any other connection to another app (Zapier is much like IFTTT, but more powerful), please email Zapier and request they add Evernote tags to their supported triggers for Evernote. Emailing them will also get your email on the list of people to be notified if/when this feature is available.

Zapier's email:  contact@zapier.com

On 2/19/2017 at 3:19 AM, tavor said:

Google Calendar (GC) has multiple sub-calendars (layers is another way to think about it), one of which is Reminders. 

When using Cronofy to sync Evernote with GC (which puts all EN notes with a reminder date into GC), the only option I see is to sync to the main calendar. Since I use EN for task management, I have lots of EN notes with reminder dates, but most of these aren't calendar events and I'd like to keep that clutter off the main calendar, which I'd like to use only for events.

Is there a way to get EN reminders into the Reminders calendar of GC instead of the main calendar?

@adambird

That would be very nice. I think the problem is that the Google Calendar API does not have an Interface to add reminders. It took 'm a couple of years to release a Tasks API, so don't hold your breath

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Rob van Vliet said:

That would be very nice. I think the problem is that the Google Calendar API does not have an Interface to add reminders. It took 'm a couple of years to release a Tasks API, so don't hold your breath

Not holding my breath as I found a better solution (at least for my setup and needs) here: 

Archived