Improve findability: nested use of tags needed

heimohanninen

Idea

Thanks for the great product. So great that I want to improve it :-)  

My biggest frustration comes with poor use of tags within search. 

The great improvement on top of existing tags would be that:

1. you are able to search by keyword, - say 39 hits - too much to browse,  then

2. apply a tag to reduce the scope (a normal faceted search approach), - say 9 hits - the iteratively

3. apply more tags to even further reduce the scope -  say 5 hits - simple like this!

It would explode the efficiency of current - somewhat poor - search. Findability is the mother of knowledge.

Combination of tags indicates a meaningful semantic structure!

Drop a note if need more specs :-) and a Premium submission would not hurt either ;-)

See the attached UI sketch:

evernote-feature.PNG

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Search isn't necessarily as simple as it may at first appear...

In Evernote Web the search term(s) display at the top of the window.  Whatever you need to add to that term can be appended to (or replace) what's already there.  If you search by "tag:<yourtag>" it's pretty easy to add extra keywords to that line to narrow the search,  or include more "tag:<any>" terms,  or any other of the advanced search operators. 

How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax

• Level 5*

The Windows client does something akin to what I think you want: there's a tag selector that actively filters the applicable tag list down as you select tags (such that tags that don't apply to the current note filter set are not shown), and this does indeed make tag searches easier to build. A UI like this would be nice to have in other Evernote clients as well: I mainly use Android and Windows, the web client on occasion; this is not present in the Android UI, as near as I can tell.

Archived