(Archived) No longer able to attach files via Version 5.4.3 on Mac

Jonathan Walker Howard

Idea

I'm a new (one week) EN user. I'm loving the way it pulls my work together especially the ability to attach key docs to notes.

So I'm really frustrated by my current inability to attach Word, Excel or PDF files, in which I do most of my work. 

Here' what (doesn't) happen:

In a note, I click the paperclip. A file directory pops up with options to Cancel or Open.

I hit Open. The window closes. Nothing shows up in my note.

I do this again and again and again and give up.

I am able to attach image files (at least jpg and tiff). I can upload files to my web EN account and they show up and can be accessed by the Mac client after I sync but that's not a tolerable work around. I think the attachment feature may have been disabled by the EN upgrade I installed a few days ago.

Any fellow sufferers out there? Any thoughts about a solution to make attachments work on my Mac again? Thanks!

21 replies to this idea

A miracle happened! I randomly clicked the paperclip today and up pops a file window. Click, and Bob's your uncle. Or mine, at least. Anyone else's paperclip working? I hope this is a general fix and not just a temporary remission or fluke.

BTW, for me, the best workaround is/was to open Evernote online, attach as usual to the note online, then sync so the link appears and works. 

Anyway, thanks Evernote and all who've shared here. I wish happy holidays and a wonderful New Year to all OS 10.6 users!

Well then, Product Development manager, give all of us 10.6.x users links to the old evernote that functions best, and next time you introduce serious upgrades let everyone know what the options are and give them the choice of upgrading or not. This is a serious failure of connect with all your devoted users. Let it not happen in the future.

Same thing with me. Running 10.6.8 on a macbook since latest updates and new web clipper, cannot attach pdf files. Text files, web archive files, rtf files yes, but no pdfs, no docs. As suggested in help files, I've done the adobe thing and taken out the adobe plugins from /library/internet plug-ins and re-booted but this made no difference. Neither does new web clipper get it right. Lots of saves gone missing.

There are clearly some major issues here. I've raised a ticket but the only reply I've had was 'apologies for the inconvenience.' This is more than an inconvenience, this is a serious limitation to the app at best and at worst untrustworthy behaviour.

I worry now about syncs. I have Eevrnote on three devices and a lot of the time I will work on one device that is not connected to the internet, then open up the file on my computer say and work with it while connected. Now what does Evernote do with these two different versions of the same file? It should differentiate them with a date stamp and synch them both. But I have only one conflicted version of a file over all my years with Evernote, and now I am beginning to worry about its integrity.

Moment after responding to Jackolicious, I receive the following comment from Evernote support in regards to my currently open ticket about not being able to attach files w/ Evernote 5.4.3 on 10.6.x:

Thanks for your patience, are you able to upgrade your OS at all? We need you to be on either 10.7.5 or 10.8.5 or 10.9 in order to troubleshoot your issue further.  

I was flabbergasted.  And annoyed.  My immediate response:

Are you saying that you are IMMEDIATELY DROPPING SUPPORT (in fact, RETROACTIVELY) for 10.6 that you won't continue to help me with this issue?

What's going on, Evernote?   If you won't fix 5.4.3 for 10.6 for us, then please, please send us links to 5.4.2, 5.4.1 so that we can at least revert to a version we were happy/happier with.

Folks, I responded earlier in the thread :) Read all the responses!

We are aware of the issue although it may take some time for that info to propagate through support.

Regarding 10.6, no new features are currently being developed for Snow Leopard (that includes Presentation Mode and Markup). We are planning to phase out releases supporting 10.6 in the coming months.

Jackolicious,

then WHY did i get an OFFICIAL response from the the german support team that 10.6 is not supported any more???

and in case you guys don't know:

https://www.gosquared.com/mavericks/ says about 20%-25% of Mac users are still using 10.6, most of them (like myself) not because we choose to but we have to (in my case an important businiess application needs Rosetta and 10.6. is the last MacOSX version supporting Rosetta - i would LOVE to upgrade my business MBP to Mavericks which already runs on my personal MBA - but i can't)

EOLing 10.6 support means abandonding about a quarter of Mac Users!!!!!

No new features like Presentation mode? I don't have a problem with that, as long as evernote still runs.

But breaking the 10.6 code, then telling my 10.6. is not supported, we may or may not fix the bug and if we do it is really low priority and can take a long time - NOT OK for me - that is what i was told by EverNote support in Germany.

I LOVE Evernote and i clip PDFs all the time (well, i used to)

regards,

Mike (Premium User since 2010!)

Jack, in the midst of my griping about Evernote, I want you to hear that I'm so grateful to Evernote for a wonderful product and service that has fundamentally altered the way I work and, indeed, think and live.  I'm grumpy because I depend so much on Evernote to work well for me.  And vast majority of the time, it does splendidly.   

As for 10.6, I completely understand that Presentation Mode won't be supported.  What bothered me was that I had to discover that fact myself and report it to Support (after all the lovely hype about Presentation Mode on a Mac, in which nowhere was it mentioned the 10.7+ requirement).  If there had been a note that said, "sorry, not in 10.6 -- upgrade!", I would have said "fair enough".

• Level 5

Folks, I responded earlier in the thread :) Read all the responses!

We are aware of the issue although it may take some time for that info to propagate through support.

Regarding 10.6, no new features are currently being developed for Snow Leopard (that includes Presentation Mode and Markup). We are planning to phase out releases supporting 10.6 in the coming months.

MnM:  To clarify:  you've actually heard support say that Evernote is no longer supporting 10.6?  I've never seen any official statement from Evernote to that effect.  In fact, when I complained to support about the sub-optimal experience of Evernote on Snow Leopard, I didn't see any indication that 10.6 had become deprecated.  I'll ask support again to see what I hear.  I'd love to hear an official statement  from Evernote on its support level for Snow Leopard.  I can understand that Evernote will want to drop support for 10.6, but it really needs to be clear on when that's going to happen so we users have warning.

Misery loves company, so thanks to all for showing up. I'm guessing you are stuck at OS 10.6, as I am pmcall57, because of your affection for vintage Macbooks like mine. If this is a general problem, then my reinstall idea sounds less promising, but thanks, Evangelist for the link (which I'll save in my "Evernote" reference notebook). 

I'm not a Premier user, so no tech support. Not sure its proper to ask you to share with a free rider, rdyhee, but I'd love to know if there is a solution or fix. I'll be standing by here.

Not sure what I'll do. This is an essential feature to making EN work for me.

Do NOT reinstall, it will not fix the issue. I did, downloaded my GIGABYTES of notes again and the BUG is still there.

Misery loves company, so thanks to all for showing up. I'm guessing you are stuck at OS 10.6, as I am pmcall57, because of your affection for vintage Macbooks like mine. If this is a general problem, then my reinstall idea sounds less promising, but thanks, Evangelist for the link (which I'll save in my "Evernote" reference notebook). 

I'm not a Premier user, so no tech support. Not sure its proper to ask you to share with a free rider, rdyhee, but I'd love to know if there is a solution or fix. I'll be standing by here.

Not sure what I'll do. This is an essential feature to making EN work for me.

same here!

Dev team is aware of the issue. Thanks for posting!

WHY is the (german) support team NOT aware of this??? They recommended upgrading my OS (which i would LOVE to but cannot because i still need Rosetta for some work related Apps) and that they do NOT use or support anything but Mavericks!!!

Regards,

Mike

I have this problem and have reported it to support.  No solution yet.  I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and feel that the quality of the Evernote experience for 10.6.x has been in decline in the last 6 months. No support for presentation mode.  (I had to report this fact before it was recognize by Evernote support.)   The latest version of Skitch don't work on it.  I'm afraid that if I don't upgrade to later versions of OS X, I'll soon be orphaned as an Evernote user.  (I know I'm ranting a bit because of frustration!)

• Level 5*

Thanks, Evangelist. I'm running EN Version 5.4.3 (402231) on a 2008 Macbook with OS 10.6.8. I tried drag and drop. It works for Tiff, not for excel, word, pdf, same as the attachment window. It was working fine when I first installed. I installed the EN upgrade a few days later. I can't be positive, but the timing makes me think that was the difference. Possibly some new code the older Mac system can't handle?

If this is not a shared issue, then it's something about this software on my particular system. Maybe a re-install would work. Thoughts?

My suspicion would be the operating system. But it isn't as if you are running Leopard or something like that, so it ought to work. I'd create a support ticket. Hopefully, someone with a similar setup can weigh in and tell us if they are seeing the problem.

Of course, if you have time, reinstalling is always an option. Here are instructions. You have to make sure you get rid of everything.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

Thanks, Evangelist. I'm running EN Version 5.4.3 (402231) on a 2008 Macbook with OS 10.6.8. I tried drag and drop. It works for Tiff, not for excel, word, pdf, same as the attachment window. It was working fine when I first installed. I installed the EN upgrade a few days later. I can't be positive, but the timing makes me think that was the difference. Possibly some new code the older Mac system can't handle?

If this is not a shared issue, then it's something about this software on my particular system. Maybe a re-install would work. Thoughts?

• Level 5*

I'm a new (one week) EN user. I'm loving the way it pulls my work together especially the ability to attach key docs to notes.

So I'm really frustrated by my current inability to attach Word, Excel or PDF files, in which I do most of my work. 

Here' what (doesn't) happen:

In a note, I click the paperclip. A file directory pops up with options to Cancel or Open.

I hit Open. The window closes. Nothing shows up in my note.

I do this again and again and again and give up.

I am able to attach image files (at least jpg and tiff). I can upload files to my web EN account and they show up and can be accessed by the Mac client after I sync but that's not a tolerable work around. I think the attachment feature may have been disabled by the EN upgrade I installed a few days ago.

Any fellow sufferers out there? Any thoughts about a solution to make attachments work on my Mac again? Thanks!

Hi. Welcome to the forums. It works fine for me running 5.4.3 (402231) attaching PDFs and Word documents. Could you tell us what version you are running? You should be able to drag and drop files directly into notes as well, so that might be one workaround if we can't get the paperclip icon to work for you.

Archived