Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Evernote as Home Inventory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tassiecelt

tassiecelt

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • Group: Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Well I gave EN a good go at creating a home inventory, it does an OK job but eventually I had to give up and return to the app I was using before, MyStuff, much as I would like to use EN for everything, just some things cannot be done better.

With a dedicated app such as the one I mention, not only is the layout quicker and easier to navigate and make entries, but there are many other cool features such as quickly bringing up a total value of all items listed. There may be a way to do this in EN, but I don't know of it.

So, Home Inventory is added to my list of tasks done better by other apps, together with Journalling - which I use Day One for, and before everyone jumps on me - this doesn't take away from the many tasks that I rely on EN for.

As they say, horses for courses..

#2 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 5,687 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

I too like Evernote for lots of things, but use dedicated other software for specific tasks. People do ask me "what's best" for this or that, and I usually answer - "whatever works for you". Forinstance some friends have used Excel for some extreme databasing and won't hear of any other options. It would kill me to follow their processes, but if it works for them..

I'd be uncomfortable with someone wanting to use Evernote for everything anyway - there are still a couple of things that could do with tweaking...

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

#3 tassiecelt

tassiecelt

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

I too like Evernote for lots of things, but use dedicated other software for specific tasks. People do ask me "what's best" for this or that, and I usually answer - "whatever works for you". Forinstance some friends have used Excel for some extreme databasing and won't hear of any other options. It would kill me to follow their processes, but if it works for them..

I'd be uncomfortable with someone wanting to use Evernote for everything anyway - there are still a couple of things that could do with tweaking...

Well said.

#4 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

I like to use Evernote to "organize" all information, but not "do" everything. I mean, I'm not going to write articles, create spreadsheets, mind maps, manage tasks, etc. in Evernote but I do store the finished results of my work so that everyhing is still organized in Evernote... I mean all other apps are just for "live" temporary data, nothings is stored there permanently, Evernote is where everything ends up.

#5 tassiecelt

tassiecelt

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Thats an interesting way to see Evernote, and a good idea, thanks for sharing it.

#6 CaptainTime

CaptainTime

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

I like to use Evernote to "organize" all information, but not "do" everything. I mean, I'm not going to write articles, create spreadsheets, mind maps, manage tasks, etc. in Evernote but I do store the finished results of my work so that everyhing is still organized in Evernote... I mean all other apps are just for "live" temporary data, nothings is stored there permanently, Evernote is where everything ends up.

Very well put, Browncoat. I use Evernote everyday and wouldn't be without it. But I still use an outside task management system, online calendar, CRM and other programs for specific tasks. And love Mind Mapping for straight brainstorming but then switch to Evernote to flesh out the details of the plan.

Evernote is used for research, organizing, templating, and publishing.

Garland Coulson, "Captain Time"
------------------------------------------
Time Management Trainer

#7 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,785 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

Very well put, Browncoat.

Psst.. 'Browncoat' is the title... 'May' is the name :)
  • May likes this
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote