Breadcrumbs would be nice

Steve Horn

Idea

I love the search function built into Evernote. I can search for a term and it brings up multiple instances, even pulls from images! But I can't see where these listed instances reside in my complex system of notes, notebooks, and notebook stacks.  I might need to find all the notes related to a topic and perhaps I can only recall that it mentioned "kazoos". I search for "kazoos" and there it is BUT I need to know the notebook it's in. It would be so nice if there could be a display and links to the structural location of this note, like most CMS systems offer.

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Steve Horn said:

I love the search function built into Evernote. I can search for a term and it brings up multiple instances, even pulls from images! But I can't see where these listed instances reside in my complex system of notes, notebooks, and notebook stacks.  I might need to find all the notes related to a topic and perhaps I can only recall that it mentioned "kazoos". I search for "kazoos" and there it is BUT I need to know the notebook it's in. It would be so nice if there could be a display and links to the structural location of this note, like most CMS systems offer.

Not sure of what exactly you're looking for, or what other CMS systems offer.

For, me.  I use top list view as per the image below
When I do a search, I see note titles and other info I selected for my columns; notebook, tags, dates etc. My search terms are displayed in the search box

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 7.08.16 AM.png

That is a great help, DTLow. Not all of what I'm asking for, as it doesn't offer the full structure available, nor does it link to the Notebook it lists but it does at least display it.

I generally use the snippet view. Your suggestion of top view appears to offer the closest to what I'm asking for.

So, still asking and for clarification, I'll offer screenshots: two from WordPress (CMS), one from Apple OS Finder window. Clicking on any of the items listed (where the arrows point in these examples) takes you to that location.

breadcrumb1.png

breadcrumb2.png

breadcrumb3.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Steve Horn said:

That is a great help, DTLow. Not all of what I'm asking for, as it doesn't offer the full structure available, nor does it link to the Notebook it lists but it does at least display it.

I generally use the snippet view. Your suggestion of top view appears to offer the closest to what I'm asking for.

So, still asking and for clarification, I'll offer screenshots: two from WordPress (CMS), one from Apple OS Finder window. Clicking on any of the items listed (where the arrows point in these examples) takes you to that location.

Got it - you did really mean breadcrumbs, as in the folder paths

One point to keep in mind is that EN doesn't have a folder filing methodology

Notebook is simply a field on the note record
The tag hierarchy might be a better equivalent, but there could be multiple paths
Your breadcrumb idea would show multiple entries, for eample
   Blog > Co-Parenting > Keep it Cool
   Research > Keep it Cool
   House > Heating/Cooling

• Level 5*

There is not necessarily any hierarchical "path" to a set of notes identified via search; "here" is not always a single "location". For example, simple text search or tag search could turn up notes in different notebooks. In the Windows client, the search panel has a Search Info field that describes the search in in plain language that's pretty informative, in my experience, but snippet view, which I use almost exclusively, doesn't show a note's notebook, though it shows its tags in the snippet header; showing the notebook would be helpful, I think. I rarely care about stacks, since notebook names are unique to an account. The Stack / Notebook "hierarchy" is pretty shallow by contrast with a file system.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Steve Horn said:

If a note is in a notebook, there is hierarchy.

When I think of an organization hierarchy, I think of folders

• folder 1
    • Sub-folder 1.1
    • Sub-folder 1.2
      • sub-folder 1.2.1

Notebooks are more container related

• Notebook 1
  • Notebook 2

>>How can there be any organization without hierarchy?

The EN concept of organization is achieved mostly with tags and searches

EN does have hierarchy in tags (some platforms),

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Steve Horn said:

No hierarchy? In what terms? How can there be any organization without hierarchy? If a note is in a notebook, there is hierarchy.

Not sure who you were responding to, but despite the presence of stacks (remember, a notebook need not be a member of a stack), Evernote presents largely a flat organization of notebooks.If you want to call that a hierarchy, it's probably technically true, but it's a feeble imitation of a fully nestable folder hierarchy like a file system. In any case, the basic organizational scheme is notes in notebooks.

On the notion of organization without hierarchy, many Evernote users use tags to organize their notes. Tags are not inherently hierarchical (though you can arrange your tags that way), but functionally they form sets of notes (i.e. a tag specifies the set of notes that have that tag), which can be intersected (or unioned) to identify another set of notes. It's a different kind of organizational scheme, pretty much non-hierarchical, but which models more closely how our language describes the world we inhabit: items in the world may reside in more than one category (think of tags as adjectives), whereas items in a fie system generally reside in exactly one place.

I could go on... :) 

Ok, well, whether imagined or real, fictitious or true, I want to have search results display as well as note display set up to reveal where this is so I can find other notes in their notebooks, as well as notebooks in their stacks no matter how EN achieves the impression that such exists.

• Level 5*

The Windows client certainly has a search info panel that I've found useful for a long time; it's directly above the snippets view window. If you're on a Mac, I don't know what's available, but if you like, we could move this topic to the Mac Product Feedback forum, where it's be taken as a feature request, and other forum-goers can vote on it. Probably makes more sense to be there, but I'd wait until you say what you want.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Steve Horn said:

Ok, well, whether imagined or real, fictitious or true, I want to have search results display as well as note display set up to reveal where this is so I can find other notes in their notebooks, as well as notebooks in their stacks no matter how EN achieves the impression that such exists.

Can't help on a shortcut for finding other notes in the notebook
EN provides a dropdown on each tag of a note to show other notes with the tag

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 11.13.23 AM.png

Archived