• Level 5*

Hi.  I can't offer you a guarantee or any insider knowledge,  but I suggest you pretty much ignore the ongoing commentary about Evernote's "future".  It's a huge company with 150M or so users and (I hope) a responsible management.  It won't go out of business overnight,  and even if it did you still have a copy of all your data in your local database,  and (if you have any smarts) some recent backups.  That's SQLite-readable - something which other individual developers will be able to build on very quickly if Evernote is out of the picture for some catastrophic reason.  Without any tech help you can also export notes and notebooks to ENEX and HTML,  and notes can be printed to a variety of formats including PDF.  No Data Will Be Harmed on the passing of Evernote.

Much more realistically,  as happened when Evernote withdrew support from their Food app,  If they repeat that exercise,  Evernote themselves will suggest a parachute option,  and users will quickly come up with any other alternatives on the market.

Even if none of that happens,  there are 150 million potential customers here.  Any software house that fancies a slice of that pie will throw some resources into promoting its own solution for 'former Evernote Users'.  You'll have options oozing out of your email inbox.

It would be unwise not to consider that some day you might have to find a different solution for your note taking / scheduling or whatever use you have for your Evernote account - but over the years I've done similar things repeatedly as my hardware and OS's have changed under me and my (formerly) favorite software lagged behind.  Don't sweat it - deal with the problem if it happens,  not because some business pundit thinks Evernote could have done better. 

I think George Lucas has had the same press from time to time,  but after that new funny film came out they think he''s some sort of genius apparently...   ;)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Scott Gould said:

I've read some concerning things about Evernote recently on the various tech sites.Is Evernote's future secure?

I can't forecast Evernote's future, but I'm not concerned.

First - despite all the doom and gloom we hear, Evernote is a going concern.

Second - Before I even started entering my data, I made sure I could retrieve it if anything happens

• I have a copy of the data on my desktop with the Evernote app.  That doesn't change regardless of what happens to the company.
  • There are easy solutions to extract my data

Third - You should have addressed backup concerns 

• I will probably never use it, by my Mac has a TM app doing backups
  • I do a periodic HTML export which I have used to retrieve notes that have disappeared
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Scott Gould said:

Thanks gazumped for your very thoughtful reply - I appreciate that.

I have everything in my life on Evernote, but reading that stuff gets me a bit nervous as I love the product so.

Have you personally got a backup plan?

Yup - I get a Databases folder copy on a regular basis.  If there were an active Evernote sync,  this might be problematic:  backup from two weeks ago gets overwritten by current <blank> notes.  In Evernote's absence however,  I can restore any previous version of the database that I choose... 

Archived