How do I drag a note from one tag, and drop it into a another tag, without it showing up in both tags?

Trankuility

To keep track of projects I have created Stages using Tags. For example:

Stage 1 - Receive Proposal

Stage 2 - Review Proposal Specs

Stage 3 - Send Proposal To Manager

When I receive a proposal I attach it to a note and tag it with "Stage 1 - Receive Proposal". When it goes to review, I change the tag to "Stage 2 - Review Proposal Specs".

However, it would be much easier to drag the note from one tag and drop on the next tag. Yet, when I do this it copies the note to the next tag. So the note has both tags.

How do I drag a note from one tag and drop it into a another tag WITHOUT it showing up in both tags?

• Level 5*

Don't know that you can.  It is an add a tag - delete a tag process.  If you don't like that you could accomplish this with Notebooks.  Create a notebook for each Stage and then drag the notes from notebook to notebook.  Put the notebooks in a stack if you want to search all the notes in the three notebooks at the same time.  You do run the risk in this method of accidentally moving a note to a notebook other than the three, so a tag of some sort to identify all projects can be used for belts and suspenders.  FWIW.

• Level 5*

How do I drag a note from one tag and drop it into a another tag WITHOUT it showing up in both tags?

Drag/drop has its uses, but I'm not a big fan of using it for this type of operation, especially if you have more than about 20-30 tags.

Have you tried this:

1. Add the Tag you want
    1. Click in the Tag box at the top of the Note contents panel
    2. Start typing the name of the new Tag
    3. Evernote will autocomplete and show a dropdown list of matching tags
    4. Arrow down to the one you want, and hit RETURN
  2. Remove the tag you no longer need
    1. Mouse over the desired tag in the Tag box
    2. You should see a small X at the end of the tag
    3. Click this X to remove (unassign) it from the Note

This all goes very fast -- much, much faster than the time it takes to even read the above instructions.

EDIT:  Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 7:18 PM CDT

Revised the order of operations to ADD the new tag first, per @JBenson2's comment below.

• Level 5

I find this method useful, BUT... only if you follow these steps sequentially and quickly. If you dally, the note can seem to disappear.

So I always do it in reverse. Step #2 (add tag) and then Step#1 (remove tag)

If you are searching for notes with the specific tag and then delete the tag from the note, the note will seem to disappear because it no longer meets the search criteria.  The note is not gone, but it no longer meets the search terms.

I did set it up with Notebooks to drag and drop, which works great. But then it dawned on me that finding things would be harder that way. Argh. hah.

Looks like I'll stick with the Tags. Thanks for the detailed instructions JMichael. And good point JBenson. I'll do it in that order.

Thanks all for the helpful feedback!

• Level 5*

I did set it up with Notebooks to drag and drop, which works great. But then it dawned on me that finding things would be harder that way. Argh. hah.

Looks like I'll stick with the Tags. Thanks for the detailed instructions JMichael. And good point JBenson. I'll do it in that order.

Thanks all for the helpful feedback!

Glad you found a way that works for you. 

Out of interest, why was it harder for you to find things in the three notebook method.  By the by I would use the tag method as well, I was just wondering.

Archived