Evernote Underlined Text in Print to PDF

ChrisSos

Hi,

Been using Evernote for years.  I take notes all over the place, usually format them and clean them up when I get back to the office, then print them to PDF (Acrobat XI).  Each time I go to print (this has been happening over years, including two different laptops), anything that is underlined doesn't look quite right in the printout or PDF.  The underline actually goes THROUGH the text more like a strikethrough.  Attached is a sample from a note (some stuff blurred out). 

I appeal to the great wisdom of the ages (aka Internet) to help show me the error of my ways or give me a good workaround.  Any ideas why this is happening?  My notes end up looking somewhat unprofessional whenever I want to use the underline.

Thanks,

Chris

post-249397-0-60451200-1424203123_thumb.

• Level 5*

Due respect,  but Evernote haven't indicated any specific attitude,  or any timescale for fixing the issue.  Here,  as with many other requests in the forums,  Evernote staffers will have read the thread,  noted the problem and added it to what must be a pretty long list of fixes required. 

They don't however (often) make any comment on individual items,  and it's company policy not to publicise their general plans.  Agreed this particular bug is annoying,  but if you can open the PDF independently on a desktop,  the error goes away - pretty easy to overcome when you anticipate the glitch.

• Level 5

<snip>...  and it's company policy not to publicise their general plans. ...<snip>

Source? Is this from an internal leak, or just a conclusion based on Evernote's limited participation in this forum?

They used to be quite open on their future plans when chatting on the Evernote podcast.

Has this company policy been publicly posted anywhere? 

• Level 5*

<snip>...  and it's company policy not to publicise their general plans. ...<snip>

Source? Is this from an internal leak, or just a conclusion based on Evernote's limited participation in this forum?

They used to be quite open on their future plans when chatting on the Evernote podcast.

Has this company policy been publicly posted anywhere? 

??? I remember the podcasts - just;  they were quite fun and informative about what was currently happening,  or had happened weeks ago - though apart from a few cases of "we're looking into developing" this or that I don't remember anything definitive about "We've had a lot of requests for X - which will be released in a month or two"

And yes,  various Evernote employees have said "we're not supposed to talk about this..." in various threads.  Don't have any links off the top of my head. 

EDIT:  Although,  of course,  there are exceptions... https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60185-web-clipper-6-for-firefox-beta/?p=346094

Agreed this particular bug is annoying,  but if you can open the PDF independently on a desktop,  the error goes away - pretty easy to overcome when you anticipate the glitch.

No, you can't print to a physical printer nor to a PDF without hitting this infuriating bug. The bug is in EN's rendering code. There's a related one in which every character has a white box rendered with it, this causes clipping of italicised characters.

You're right that we can't tell what EN's real attitude to these sort of issues are, but the evidence kind of speaks for itself doesn't it?

• Level 5*

Wasn't suggesting print to PDF,  but to export the PDF from the note to the desktop and then use a local PDF editor to print the note.  The 'evidence' is that Evernote hasn't fixed this yet,  which AFAIK just means "Evernote hasn't fixed this yet..."

Wasn't suggesting print to PDF,  but to export the PDF from the note to the desktop and then use a local PDF editor to print the note.

How exactly do you export a note as a PDF? Not possible in any version of Windows EN up to 5.8.3, which version are you using?

We're talking about printing a PDF here;  what I'm saying is:  copy the PDF file from a note to the desktop and open it with a viewer or editor,  then print.

No we're not, read the OP. We're talking about printing EN notes, not PDFs embedded in notes. The OP was trying to do so by printing to PDF.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I triggered off the phrase 'print to PDF' and the belief that only PDF files had that underline-as-a-strikethrough effect.  What happens if you print to a WP or direct to a printer?

Hmmn.  I triggered off the phrase 'print to PDF' and the belief that only PDF files had that underline-as-a-strikethrough effect.  What happens if you print to a WP or direct to a printer?

Exactly the same result, it doesn't know whether the printer is a physical device or a pseudo device like the PDF or XPS printer. It's EN's print rendering engine that's broken.

Yep, bloody annoying and the print size is also wrong (Tahoma 10 prints as a 14 or maybe even larger), both reported a good 2 months ago. How is it that a billion dollar company can't even get the fundamentals right? And before the "I run a paperless office" brigade pipe up, some of us cannot and/or don't want to - although we do respect wood! 

Archived