OCR a Premium only feature?

I have been poking around a bit and seen some claims that indicate OCR of an image is a feature available to free users (but more slowely then Premium) however I have checked several image snaps, including ones taken via the Scannable iOS app and none of them are searchable

For example: I have a note taken via Scannable of a business card but even though I grabbed that note 4 days ago it still isnt searchable (0 word count, searching for any word on the card comes up with no matches)

Since I was running close to my monthly cap anyway I hit the link for information on upgrading to Premiun and right there on the upgrade page is the feature "Search inside docs", so that makes me think that despite claims that it is a free feature, OCRing is actually a Premium feature.  Is this true?

Why does my desktop Evernote not find text within images but my online version does? I have premium, and have tried searching the same note/file in both applications. Desktop never finds it, online always does. Is this a setting issue? 

• Level 5*

Why does my desktop Evernote not find text within images but my online version does? I have premium, and have tried searching the same note/file in both applications. Desktop never finds it, online always does. Is this a setting issue? 

Is all your image content unfindable or just one or two?

I should have been more specific, sorry; it won't find hand-written text. The desktop app doesn't see my note with "onion" in it, but the web app does, when searching. I've tried multiple notes, in OCR and PDF formats. I have a pro account. I don't have a ton of uploaded images of hand-written things, but I've been uploading a few more just to experiment ... seems the same. Is there a time delay for the desktop app "reading" things? because the web-based app identifies it immediately....

Thanks,

I should have been more specific, sorry; it won't find hand-written text. The desktop app doesn't see my note with "onion" in it, but the web app does, when searching. I've tried multiple notes, in OCR and PDF formats. I have a pro account. I don't have a ton of uploaded images of hand-written things, but I've been uploading a few more just to experiment ... seems the same. Is there a time delay for the desktop app "reading" things? because the web-based app identifies it immediately....

Thanks,

Be sure you've synced the desktop client, after the OCRing was done on the servers. Also, it's a long known issue that search results varied between clients. AFAIK, this is still the case.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/73541-weird-anomaly-with-search/

• Level 5*

The fact that a computer can read any handwriting (IMHO) borders on magic anyway.  I've got handwritten notes,  but I tend to add typed summaries to the notes so I can jump to the notes related to a specific issue quickly,  and from then it's faster for me to skip-read through the notes looking for the right content,  rather than run repeated searches looking for text that might or might not be legible.

I agree- total witchcraft! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong with the desktop version, like some setting, or that it didn't know I was "pro" or what have you. The only reason I care is I'm about to scan and ditch some recipes. Gotta purge! I was just trying to avoid typing them all in...

• Level 5*

Well - scan the handwritten ones and just add the tags you need to find them reliably - soup / carrot / vegetarian.  When you actually use them again,  you're going to be reading them off as you stir anyway...

Archived