What Happened to Evernote on Mac? Lacks Functionality!

kkathman

Idea

What has happened to Everynote on Mac? it's absolutely terrible now!

Has Evernote given up on Mac and only supporting Windows?

First, there IS no interface much any more. You can't do 1/2 the things in Mac you can on Windows (lazy programming or lack of commitment?)

There's no color, few lines and a lot of the functionality is gone from even the previous versions of Evernote! This has completed WRECKED my entire use!

In my GTD System i WAS using with EN, I could have nested Tags. In other words in the sidebar, I could have Reference as a tag and then nest a tag called !Ref-Article, and !Ref-Security, etc. These would be indented and easily accessible by expanding and collapsing the head tag. Now this is impossible to create and everything is single level!

In fact, the "Tag" icon doesn't even exist until you create a Tag in the first place (not so in the Windows Version!

I'm using Firefox with my iMac running Yosemite.  Can anyone shed any light on WHY the commitment to Mac has suddenly died? I'm about to dump EN and go to Nozbe or something this is so frustrating!

ADDED NOTE:  In reading other posts, it seems my frustration isn't alone and there are even MORE functionality items that are missing or broken in the 6.0.x release. Shame.

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5

You are obviously referring to the Beta Web client. However, there is a desktop client for the Mac that has quite the same functionality as the Windows client including nested tags.

And you can still use the 'productive' Web client which also supports nested tags.

To go back to the productive Web client go to your account settings by clicking on the gear wheel icon in the lower left corner. Under "Beta" you can go back to the productive web interface. If the gear wheel is not visible make your browser window bigger (higher). 

Latest Mac, Windows (desktop and touch) all have the core functionality for me. I see my notebooks, notes, and have no problems with edits, syc, etc.....

The all white look for the Mac is an adjustment that's not over. The green helped me.

Stuhrer:  No I'm referring to my updated 6.0.2 client that's running on Yosemite on my Mac. NOT the web client.

IMWJL:  I have my reference docs and notes, yes, but the tags are not nested anymore. Try right-clicking in the side bar and you get NOTHING. The shortcuts do not work either, so to add a tag you have to go to the menu to do so, rather than the shortcut method.

Evernote has basically screwed the Mac user.

Stuhrer:  No I'm referring to my updated 6.0.2 client that's running on Yosemite on my Mac. NOT the web client.

IMWJL:  I have my reference docs and notes, yes, but the tags are not nested anymore. Try right-clicking in the side bar and you get NOTHING. The shortcuts do not work either, so to add a tag you have to go to the menu to do so, rather than the shortcut method.

Evernote has basically screwed the Mac user.

Sorry, but it works fine on my Macs (and Windows). Right click varies by the item. For tags I can show or hide the list or remove the links on side bar.

Something else must be going on, I wish you good luck.

• Level 5*

I suspect (don't know for certain) that you are seeing the beginning of roll out of "Workspace" for Desktops. Mac has always been their flagship platform . . ..  I suspect Windows is soon to follow in this disastrous new design.  

Mac has not "always" been Evernote's flagship. Evernote was originally a Windows only product, and for a fair amount of time after the Mac client was introduced, it lagged behind the Windows client in terms of features, to the dismay of Mac users at the time. Lately, the tide has turned somewhat, and the Mac client often gets features rolled out before other clients get them. This may or may not be a good thing, btw, given the reaction to the Mac v6. It's hard to read much into this, as the development teams are largely independent of each other, though the Mac may be coming on string as a reflection of the boutique-ization of Evernote the brand.

OK so after playing with this awhile, here is what the "developers" did that was just plain stupid.

In order to "nest" tags, a standard feature up to the 6.0 release, the tag to be nested HAS to be used. That is, you can't make a tag, nest it, THEN use it.  You can try this yourself:

Create a tag called "Master"

Now create a tag caller "Slave"

Go to the Tags view and try dragging "Slave" on top of "Master"...it won't let you.

Now, create a note, attach the "Slave" tag.

Go back to the Tags view and drag "Slave" over the "Master" and this time it will work.

Now, this seems to be only true of the New Web Beta AND the new Mac Client 6.  If you go to the current web version, and try to repeat that ( by dragging tags on top of each other in the sidebar) it works fine AND if you open them up in the client, the nesting is maintained. It's just that you can tell that the two groups, web and mac, that develop things aren't working off the same specification and features list. No commonality.

That's NOT a very good organization.

• Level 5

OK so after playing with this awhile, here is what the "developers" did that was just plain stupid.

In order to "nest" tags, a standard feature up to the 6.0 release, the tag to be nested HAS to be used. That is, you can't make a tag, nest it, THEN use it.  You can try this yourself:

Go to the Tags view and try dragging "Slave" on top of "Master"...it won't let you.

Go back to the Tags view and drag "Slave" over the "Master" and this time it will work.

Now, this seems to be only true of the New Web Beta AND the new Mac Client 6.  If you go to the current web version, and try to repeat that ( by dragging tags on top of each other in the sidebar) it works fine AND if you open them up in the client, the nesting is maintained. It's just that you can tell that the two groups, web and mac, that develop things aren't working off the same specification and features list. No commonality.

You are right. I can reproduce the problem. But I would consider this as a bug and not a design decision made by the developers and you should issue a bug report. I think this way of creating tags without notes and then changing the hierarchy and using these tags later was just not tested. I myself would only create such master tags in the way you did but a slave tag I always would create from an existing note. Afterwards, I would put the new tag below the master tag.

Thank you for sharing this - gives me some hope. I followed your instruction on both my Mac native client (6.0.5) on Yosemite as well as Beta Web Client. See my tags attached - they are all used at least once. Still when I try to drag a tag, in my tag list view, under another one I see no sign of nesting functionality. Any idea what I could have missed or is different in your setting?

post-244782-0-45218700-1421124324_thumb.

Thank you for sharing this - gives me some hope. I followed your instruction on both my Mac native client (6.0.5) on Yosemite as well as Beta Web Client. See my tags attached - they are all used at least once. Still when I try to drag a tag, in my tag list view, under another one I see no sign of nesting functionality. Any idea what I could have missed or is different in your setting?

I uninstalled Evernote - downloaded the direct package from the website which is on a different build number from Apps on Apple and now on the tag view (not the tag list) can drag and drop to get nesting.

I uninstalled Evernote - downloaded the direct package from the website which is on a different build number from Apps on Apple and now on the tag view (not the tag list) can drag and drop to get nesting.

I was all excited when I saw you post this, because I have been BEATING my head against this bug -- it's preventing me from setting up my new organizational structure -- but even after deleting the App Store version and installing the one direct from the Evernote web site, I can't nest tags.

I'm seeing the same behavior here (Mac, 6.x).  Seems to be a bug that wasn't caught in testing.  Report it, if you haven't already, and I'm sure it'll get fixed eventually.  And, cut them some slack.  Evernote has a massive base of loyal users, many of whom are using it as a GTD tool, with nested tags etc., and I doubt they're trying to intentionally tick off their user base.

Archived