Chat issues

First of all let me thank you for this innovation. I'm happy to have a chat on my computer at last. Ok, sorry, this was sarcastic - I really don't see the need for yet another chat system, but that's just my gusto.

Nevertheless I tried the chat and the first thing I wanted to get rid of, is the annoying notification that pops up with each and every response.

How can this notifications be disabled? Second, it's a good idea to have "work chat" in the left panel, but I'd like to have this shortcut appear lower in the list.

How can this item be moved?

Cheers.

For me, I only do a small amount of collaboration in Evernote and do not find Work Chat useful, but I can definitely see the utility of this for any organization of group of collaborators who use Evernote. It is probably nice for those groups to be able to integrate their workplace chat into Evernote rather than an entire separate workplace chat application (e.g., Slack/Campfire/HipChat). 

It doesn't appear to be possible to move the Work Chat button in the sidebar, (no element of the sidebar is moveable). It might be nice to be able to do this (some tag-centric people might prefer Tags to be above Notebooks too!). 

Second, it's a good idea to have "work chat" in the left panel, but I'd like to have this shortcut appear lower in the list.

How can this item be moved?

If you're wanting to move the Work Chat icon because you just don't want to see it, why not just eliminate the icon altogether? At least on Windows desktop on can right click on the icon and "Remove from sidebar".

My school uses Evernote in the classroom and the Chat feature is a disastrous addition from an educational standpoint. Middle school teachers are particularly irked by this addition, since it is very distracting for students. Please give admins the right to disable this feature in their business account profiles. This is a highly disappointing addition, considering we just introduced this to our teachers and they are only now getting used to Evernote as a tool in their classroom. 

My school uses Evernote in the classroom and the Chat feature is a disastrous addition from an educational standpoint. Middle school teachers are particularly irked by this addition, since it is very distracting for students. Please give admins the right to disable this feature in their business account profiles. This is a highly disappointing addition, considering we just introduced this to our teachers and they are only now getting used to Evernote as a tool in their classroom. 

Hi M&J,

I'm not at all questioning your response. In that light, I would really be interested if you could expand a little on why the Work Chat would be distracting for students? The educational area  is (or at least was) one of Evernote's top priorities... so it would be useful for others if you could explain in more detail the issues. I'd certainly like to see a distraction-free environment. By the way, welcome to the forums  :)

Hi Spam Apprentice,

Sure. I think that teachers would like to eliminate aspects of Evernote that might potentially distract from their students' learning. Students are encouraged to use Evernote in the classroom as a note-taking device, and they are not using it as a collaborative tool (although they might if they wish). The Chat function on Evernote has no added benefit in their opinion, since students have been using it only to chat about unrelated topics. Teachers are trying to help students use technology in appropriate ways, and see this addition as unnecessary and as yet another potential distraction that they have to help students manage. I don't question the fact that it might be useful in some realms, but in this case, it has no added value from a teacher's point of view.

Thanks M&J,

I'm totally with you on this one. Kids will be kids... so it would be useful to restrict certain things. I used to message the IT department to temporarily cut the school's WiFi connection... and that would instantly cause my students to look up form their laptops and look around in bewilderment... when what they should have been doing did not require internet access.  :P

I'd like to chime in with what I think is a very valid point here...

Evernote is going all out with their new Work Space environment, of which Work Chat is a very large part. It's their new baby. That, and a heavy focus on Evernote Business (and marketing Evernote to business users). 

This is my point: If Evernote is to live up to its 100-year-company vision, they will need to invest more heavily in the area of education - especially since those future Evernote Business users are not even as of yet "premium" users. Perhaps 10 to 15 years from now. In other words, they're not creating a favorable environment pushing certain features that their younger users do not need right now - or even find distracting, as you have pointed out. 20 years from now, many of the current Evernote Business users will be out of the job market. Countless school-going users who are still "free" users may one day eventually become premium or Evernote Business users. It doesn't seem like they are prioritizing or catering to our younger users - or at the very least, those who influence the younger Evernote demographic - educators such as yourself.  

If you're wanting to move the Work Chat icon because you just don't want to see it, why not just eliminate the icon altogether? At least on Windows desktop on can right click on the icon and "Remove from sidebar".

You know, there is a difference between 'moving' and 'removing' right?

Just because I don't need/want WORK CHAT on the most prominent postition of the sidebar does not mean, I want to get rid of it altogether.

You know, there is a difference between 'moving' and 'removing' right?

Just because I don't need/want WORK CHAT on the most prominent postition of the sidebar does not mean, I want to get rid of it altogether.

Thanks for the reality check Farbauti. I am now on the same page as you. 

Archived